Knee pads that don't slip....

I've tried three different types, the pads that fit into work trousers, the hard faced pads with straps and my old commercial divers neoprene ones that I used to use when caving.  All have drawbacks.

If you're on your knees a lot, without getting up much, then the hard faced pads are OK, but if you walk around with them a lot they tend to rotate around and be a nuisance.  They are quick to put on and take off, though.  I tried both the conventional strap method, with the top and bottom straps going around the back of your leg, and the "miners" strap method, where you cross the straps over at the back.  The latter makes walking easier, but also tends to make the pads move around a lot more.

The trouser knee pads are fine for jobs where you're getting up and down a lot, but they aren't that comfortable to walk around in, plus the knee pad foam seems to compress and get a bit thin after a fair bit of use.

Overall the commercial divers knee pads were probably the best compromise, their main draw backs were a tendency to make the back of you legs a bit sore and poorer resistance to penetration from sharp objects on the floor.  They are also a pain to get on and off, as they are intended to be slid over the outside of a wetsuit, so have no fasteners.

Overall I don't have a favourite for all jobs.  When laying flooring I used the trouser pads most of the time, as there was a lot of getting up and down, cutting the flooring to size.  When sealing some OSB flooring in our eaves storage areas yesterday (ready to stick carpet tiles down) I used the hard knee pads, as I was on my knees pretty much the whole time, but not for very long, and they were quick to get on and off.

I just have work trousers with knee pad pockets in them, I think they are JCB branded ones. Have worked well through most of the build but I am now sporting ever larger yellow patches at my knees where the fabric has worn through. They always seem to be in the right place though, and I forget I'm wearing them as they are quite unobtrusive. When the trousers finally wear right through I'll just buy another pair the same.

There was a tip in a magazine handyman magazine my brother gave me and that's to use hockey/baseball type knee/shin guards as they won't move from where they're supposed to be. Where you can get them over hear is a different matter, maybe Ebay?

I've got 2 pairs of lee cooper work trousers which are great, and the pad pockets are such that I don't even notice the pads when walking around- in fact I've forgotten they were in a couple of times and they've gone through the wash with them in. So comfortable that I just keep them.in all the time.

Edited by curlewhouse