Paying

Hecateh

I'm happy to pay something on start and pay whatever is reasonable as we go along - It's just that 18k before anything is on site is, I think, too much.  

Anyway - I have spoken to him.

He phoned me - to explain that these were his standard terms and usually applied to much lower cost.  More than happy to negotiate so long as he has the money to pay for materials - which as a 'small independent' I am more than happy with.  

I also told him that no one believes he can finish it in 3 months and he said he'll take that challenge LOL.  

20 hours ago, Hecateh said:

[...]

More than happy to negotiate so long as he has the money to pay for materials - which as a 'small independent' I am more than happy with.  

[...]

Bear in mind that he will not be invoiced for anything until up to thirty days after the date of order at the Builders' Merchant. And then he will have up to thirty days to pay. At best 60 days in total, worst 30 days.

And he's asking for payment after two weeks. Hmmmmm.

He may be paying his guys on a weekly basis so that’s not unreasonable. 

Plant hire is also an unusual one - some of the bigger hire companies will not give small businesses account terms so they end up paying up front, usually with a ridiculous deposit too..... I now use a local independent who’s just as good on price and better on service ..!