See in your walls with this...

Tennentslager

Looks like a very expensive stud/pipe/cable locator to me.  I've had mine for around 20 years and it still works fine.  Cost around a tenner, IIRC.  A posh one now might set you back double that.

I think the screen is just a mad gimmick that will give people a false sense of security, as there are things that no detector will find, like plastic plumbing.  I thought ahead when fitting ours, and stuck strips of alloy tape down everywhere there is a run of plastic pipe, just so they show up when using a detector.

• Like 1

A few years ago I did some contract work for a microelectronics company. One of the items under development was a super sensitive electric field sensor - real see-through-walls stuff. But the data needed a lot of processing to interpret the results - hence the phone/app link. So when their demo shows a clear image of a pipe or stud, that's not the actual thing you're seeing it's showing you a stock image based on an interpretation of the data... i.e. sensor produces data. data is interpreted as 'vertical plastic water pipe'. phone screen displays stock image of 'vertical plastic water pipe'. For data that doesn't fit a known shape or material you just get a representation of the raw data - hence the animal shows as a splodge, not a photo or x-ray image.

So yes it can work. but what happens if you have foil backed plasterboard, or bubble-foil insulation or damp concrete block rather than nice clean plasterboard may be a different thing.