Hi - Devon ICF

Alex

Hi All, 

Thought I'd say hi. Have been reading the forum for a while now and have found it full of interesting and very useful info. I'm building a large chalet bungalow here in mid Devon and after much thought and budget revisions have ended up taking a year off work to to the build on a DIY basis with some help here and there from other trades. I've found that the reactions to this vary from "wow that's great" to "you're mad!" :-) BTW I'm not a builder, my normal day job is in IT as a Project Manager but I'm up for a challenge and need to keep costs down, or at least labour costs down as much as possible! 

After lots of thought and loads of discussions at numerous self build shows we decided that ICF was the right option for us and after discussing the project with several ICF brands we decided to go with Nudura. The build started back at the beginning of June and we've now reached wall plate and about to move onto the roof! 

Hoping to continue to absorb all the great info and options on here and will be throwing out a few questions to get answers/opinions/etc as I move further out of my comfort zone! 

Thanks. A.

Hi Alex, from one newbie to the other, welcome!

We seriously considered ICF/Nudura for a long time before setteling on timber frame, so I'm excited to see how you're applying it!

Concur with TheMtchells; photos/drawings please :)

Nice - looks like a completely cold-bridge free slap/wall detail there? We did something similar. Your bracing is nice stuff - the ones we have don't have the platform option which would have been useful. You must have had fun keeping that big gable plumb!

After the pour of that gable I ended up using a couple of ratchet straps fixed to the wall and the scaffold to pull the top of the gable into plumb. 

It was rather disconcerting when you've just poured the wall that you can grab it and wobble it back and forth! :o

The catwalk part of the bracing was pretty useful, I just put on a couple of scaffold boards and used that to get up to wall plate level which meant I could hold off on "proper" scaffold until I needed to do the pour to wall plate and then the gable ends. 

Should have a nice cold-bridge free wall :-) I've got some detailing still to do around thresholds, I left the concrete low on them as I still need to finalise exact details. 

13 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

@Alex Tidy looking build, well done. How about starting a blog.

I was planning on doing a blog but to be honest I just haven't had the time and all of a sudden I'm nearly 6 months in!! 

12 hours ago, Vijay said:

Very impressive and nice tidy site too :)

Thanks. Trying to keep things as tidy as I can but I do have days when I just don't have the inclination to tidy up but invariably then start the next day with a clean up. I tend to spend time tidying and sorting first thing. I find it gives me time to ease into the day and think about the tasks for the day/week.