Router - What do I need to know?

Ferdinand

So, rooting through the power tools inherited from dad I finally investigate the router.  

It turns out to be one of these Eru MOF 177/2 Type 2, with an 1850W motor. The exploded parts diagram in the manual is stamped Apr. 89. Dad certainly bought good tools.

Given that ELU were taken over by deWalt (subsidiary of Black and Decker) in 1994, it must be 1989-1994 vintage.  I think it still exists as the evolved deWalt DW625, which can still be bought in Screwfix.

I am seeing posts from about 2009 saying "an old 'un but a good 'un - pity they were taken over, buy one secondhand. I have had mine 25 yeas and it is still going strong". So they would be the bees-knees when we still had bees.

So presumably dad's choice of tool was pretty good.

Is there anything i need to know, never having used a router before?

The context is a worktop needing fitting with 2 right-angles on Monday or Tuesday :|, but for that I think I will oppo for somebody who is experienced, despite having grasped the concepts.

cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Worktop jigs can have different pin holes for different width worktops.

Always clamp your jig.

Always cut from left to right.

Plan your cuts so you'll only ever break out through a chipboard face at the end of the cut NOT the "melamine" face.

Routers make damn good edge planers for ordinary Contiboard - jigsaw to within say 3mm of the required cut line then use the router to finish against a clamped fence. 

Have you a biscuit joining tool or bit for the router? No.20 biscuits too.

I was lucky, my chippie mate versed me on routing! 

Mottled patterns are more forgiving! This is a breakfast bar made in the cheap with standard worktop that had only one rounded edge:

SAM_8002_zps836d0051.thumb.jpg.23697db3f4eb2e768738cb6f06b6147e.jpg

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

context is a worktop needing fitting with 2 right-angles on Monday or Tuesday 

£10 says they aren’t right angles......

Knowing how to set the jig up is key - 89 degrees on a corner will give you a big gap to fill over 3m so understanding the jig is the first starting point. The routing bit is the easy bit. 

Howdens regularly have their economy kitchen fitter router cutters in the £1 offers - they are Trend branded and good for a decent kitchen fit and are disposable at that price. The bit is more important I think than the unit itself - my 1200w 1/2” is perfect for worktops due to its size  and is powerful enough to drive a 50mm bit. It’s not as bulky as my mates 2000w Dewalt lump that is heavier but does it a bit quicker. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

£10 says they aren’t right angles......

Do you mean the walls it is going against, or the worktop when finished :-). ?

This is going to cost you £10.

The wall is already right-angled, 'cos one side is boarded out make it so. If you meant that, fork out now my friend.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

is 5.1kg heavy? B|

Yep, noticeably so. Picking it up one handed is a feat. This thing is a proper big boy's toy.  The weight is off putting at first but the stability and control it affords offsets that. The bearings on this are superior and it has slow start too.

DW625E LX:

20171022_110948.thumb.jpg.b719b83ba10b42692decf32ce2d3da28.jpg

It wouldn't take prisoners if you got it wrong but you might not feel it! :)

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Seems they're BOTH, my DeWalt & your Elu the dog's danglies for worktops:

He probably bought it for kitchens. He bought a remanindered warehouse of kitchen unit stock from a company called Kalmar in about 1982, which filled about 7500 sqft 3m high and then some.

A significant chunk of income until after 2000 came from using that stock.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Do you mean the walls it is going against, or the worktop when finished :-). ?

This is going to cost you £10.

The wall is already right-angled, 'cos one side is boarded out make it so. If you meant that, fork out now my friend.

They look to be a right angle until you get the 3m of worktop on to them ...!! Read the Jig instructions carefully and let the worktops “sit” properly and then see how it lays out. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They look to be a right angle until you get the 3m of worktop on to them ...!! Read the Jig instructions carefully and let the worktops “sit” properly and then see how it lays out. 

+1. Before you do the routing  you can lay one worktop against the long wall then lay the other one on top of it at NOMINAL right angles (suitably packed up). 

Thin masking tape is your friend doing worktops btw.

I'd have been lost without my chippy mate teaching me.

Mitred corners are fun:

PC280011.thumb.jpg.ebb769e63bc5e948503d68754fb1571a.jpg

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

It's near impossible to see the slight offs when you lay the two pre cut ( slightly oversized ) pieces across the junction. 

Nobodys mentioned a digital angle finder  yet ;)

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It's near impossible to see the slight offs when you lay the two pre cut ( slightly oversized ) pieces across the junction. 

Nobodys mentioned a digital angle finder  yet ;)

Exactly my point ..! So get the jig set up property as there is a substantial difference between 89 & 90 degrees over 3m....

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

Seems they're BOTH, my DeWalt & your Elu the dog's danglies for worktops:

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/104266-dw625e-lx-type-6-a-2.html

The MOF177 was the predecessor to the DW625. 

I was one of the guy's who brought the Dewalt range of power tools to the UK market. ELU and Dewalt were brands owned by Black & Decker for a numbers of years prior to the rebranding. They were synonymous in the cabinet/furniture making industries as the goto brand for quality and reliability. The ELU brand was Swiss and the routers were considered the Rolls Royce of routers by kitcken makers. Dewalt was American, mainly large radial arm saws used for cutting down sheet materials etc.

Another brand I was responsible to bringing to the market was the Triton workcentre from Australia.

1 hour ago, Jimp said:

Another brand I was responsible to bringing to the market was the Triton workcentre from Australia.

I think it's a Triton thing I've just been given. Orange metal frame that you can fit a router, circular saw to etc. Looks far too complicated! :)

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I think it's a Triton thing I've just been given. Orange metal frame that you can fit a router, circular saw to etc. Looks far too complicated! :)

Sounds like it. It's a great bit of kit for the average diy'er to get to know how different tools can be used fixed instead of hand held.

Wish I had one now :(

elu still the best

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Close, but no cigar ;)

The beast ?

sorry @nickfromwales, makita doesn't do it . the old elu will still sell for £250 or more for a good clean example. the elu range was the best and proven as dewalt just copied all the designs , routers, radial arm, biscuit jointer.......the only poor point on the 177 was the positive position switch, can be switched on then plugged in with the obvious results. however, as stated it is an old design. 

2 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

.......the only poor point on the 177 was the positive position switch, can be switched on then plugged in with the obvious results. however, as stated it is an old design. 

The DW625 is the same, 'kin lethal!

I did actually LOVE the old Dewalt stuff, then they brought out the stinking XRP stuff which failed time after time, so I jumped ship to makita. 

I probably would have bought the Dewalt router tbh, but on the day I walked in to buy one the sales guy offered me the makita with a £140 off retail as they weren't showing as stock and I could buy it for cash. Sold.

Ifs been a very good machine and I'd challenge anyone to fault it in comparison to its counterparts, new and old. 

I did buy the Dewalt DWS780xps chop saw though, and that's one hell of a saw. I'll probably buy the cordless makita 1/4" router though, as that feels temptingly nice in the hand ^_^

7 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

the old elu will still sell for £250 or more for a good clean example

It's My Precious and I'm keeping it. Stay away, Baggins - we don't care how much gold you have in your pocketses !

gollum.jpg.76da04a894b130b9950726d3298b66b7.jpg

Just watched LOTR again.

7 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

177 was the positive position switch, can be switched on then plugged in with the obvious results. however, as stated it is an old design

Yes. It starts spinning in circles the other way if you have it on your kitchen table :)

F

Edited by Ferdinand