Adding an extra Aico smoke alarm

AliG

Hi,

In the efforts to the my completion certificates signed off I need to add a second smoke alarm to a games room that is over 60 square metres. I don't know why the builder didn't;t install it as shown on the plans.

The room already has an Aico Ei141 which is interconnected to another Aico Ei141 downstairs.

Looking at the Aico wiring diagram, figure 6 on pg 15 here, can I just connect an extra alarm by connecting it in parallel to the connector block on the base of the first Aico unit or am I missing something?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/EI_Smoke/EI141RC_Instructions.pdf

Thanks, nice to have one job I  can do without paying someone, off to get one at Toolstation first thing. I have been up in the loft to find the cables. As ever there is tons of insulation spread about in a bizarrely haphazard way, some places about 600mm thick and some places with none.

Feel for you. Had this on issue on our last new built home (local developer). Above our bedroom the loft space hardly had any insulation, it was a metre tall in the middle and 5 metres wide and trussed. Won't bore you with the details but I ended up doing it properly to ensure a uniform and full depth insulation layer.

I will spread it around a bit better when I am up there with the cables tomorrow. It''s not too bad, just 3 or 4 places where it looks like someone probably moved it and didn't put it back leaving it stacked up enormously high in a few spots with none in the adjacent spot.

1 hour ago, AliG said:

All done, thanks @ProDave. Very easy job, hardest bit was clambering around in the loft.

Ah lofts. You get to see all sorts in my line of work. The ones where you can't get 6" beyond the hatch due to all the junk carefully stored treasured possessions that are the most "fun" And the ones that have 3ft of loft insulation added so you have no chance of finding the joists to stand on.

Mine was the three foot of insulation kind, it was hard to find the cables for the Aico that was already there.

How do you breathe up there? After yesterday I put on a face mask. Trouble is that after a few minutes my glasses were dripping and I couldn't see. Had to take a towel up with me.