Affordable Quality

Pocster

On 10/22/2017 at 07:26, ryder72 said:

Handleless in kitchen termonilogy really means recessed handles where channels are rebated into the carcase and metal trims inserted. Doors close on these trims. The recess that is formed is effectively your 'handle' so it could be argued that it is a bit of a misnomer.

Handless kitchens require different carcase  construction and door sizing to work so not every company can do it. English companies that mostly make up carcases and buy in off the peg doors have got around it my either putting magnetic push latch or spring activated drawers and removed  conventional handles and called it handleless which IMO is just a daft idea. The other option is doors with grooves on the top of the door, also not very clever as there is no grip available on appliance doors.

Handleless is not for everyone, especially is one suffers from arthritis.

For a well made handleless kitchen, you will have to look at the Europeans, particularly German or Italian kitchens. Not many of them do curved units. This is a typically British thing and the best argument I have ever heard against curved units is from a German manufacturer - Tetra Pak designed a square container for fluids that can take any shape for efficiency and  you want to buy cylindrical containers for rigid objects. So aesthetics apart, the case for curved units is weak. They are horrendously expensive as well.

Remember, only a fraction (typically 35-40%) of your kitchen price will be furniture so when you compare one supplier to another, you need to look at the relative differences between the furniture costs.

Picking up on the above re handleless and also @PeterW comment about Homebase I was intrigued by this one in their new range. It does appear at first glance to be a true handless design at a reasonable price?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/flute-kitchen_bbundle0032

@Barney12 they are pretty good but like most handleless designs they are square edged so where the finger grip meets the edge of the door there will always be a seam.  It’s the trimming and finishing of these that causes the problem unless they are a fully sprayed door where there is a proper coating on all surfaces. 

I have  handless doors in the kitchen, white high gloss and even with my big Mars bar fingers I can open them easily enough. The white doesn't show up finger marks that bad but I have a few plum coloured doors and they would be bad esp the door on the fridge. 

We priced curved door and it was quickly dropped. On a practical side you can fit very little in a curved cupboard any way.

As far as i know the doors where fully sprayed with lots of coats of paint in Italy if the sales man is to be believed. Probably means 2 coats in a shed in Sheffield!!

31 minutes ago, jack said:

Doors beside the extractor?

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Two identical ovens.

If you have two, I would say that they should be complementary eg one gets really really hot for pizzas.

No

29 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

Alignment of wall units with top of tall units.

Disappointed by you :D

The oven carcasses are not handleless. Deliberate choice of utility over design so we could get the bottom drawers in that Alno style. The drawers should have handles but don’t.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

No

Disappointed by you :D

The oven carcasses are not handleless. Deliberate choice of utility over design so we could get the bottom drawers in that Alno style. The drawers should have handles but don’t.

I didnt think Alno did oven housings with the rails in them.

How about this (not Alno)?

20140613_144523.jpg

1 minute ago, ryder72 said:

I didnt think Alno did oven housings with the rails in them.

How about this (not Alno)?

20140613_144523.jpg

Exactly thats how it should look. I got told at the time we could have the rails or the drawers but not both

Here is CGI of my Italian kitchen, handleless with rails. Have got handles on the large double opening unit. I have honed granite worktop (with bora hob inset) and spekva oak for the breakfast bar. Overall length of island is 5.2m.  This build us taking so long its just never ending kitchen is in storage and is now rebooked for January installation.

This image keeps me going through the interminable delays and endless problems with this build.

39269760-F8A7-4A13-B7D3-2D46C2CBAA43.jpeg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Here is CGI of my Italian kitchen, handleless with rails. Have got handles on the large double opening unit. I have honed granite worktop (with bora hob inset) and spekva oak for the breakfast bar. Overall length of island is 5.2m.  This build us taking so long its just never ending kitchen is in storage and is now rebooked for January installation.

This image keeps me going through the interminable delays and endless problems with this build.

Looks like it will be worth the wait @lizzie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lizzie said:

That looks stunning. Love that dark grey oak worktop.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crofter said:

The switch furthest on the right has a black surround, all the others have white.

That’s just a mistake not a deliberate one.

Does everyone notice these last 3 handleless kitchen images are surfaces that shouldn’t  show fingerprints?