Wall sockets

Hey all,

Just wondering....

I have my timber frame up at 140mm thick and will place 100mm PIR insulation in it.

Once I plasterboard/skim etc. not enough depth for recessed wall boxes. Is it "allowed" I can dig out some air to get the depth? i.e. is it ok to place a wall socket box within PIR???

Cheers

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Your frame is 140mm, your insulation is 100mm so a 40mm gap. Add 12.5mm plasterboard and you have 52.5mm  Plenty for a 35mm or 45mm deep back box. What's the problem?

I think my real concern is (which I guess isn't a problem) ; that a socket box was allowed against PIR (as that's flammable).... thinking of BCO.....

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Wood is flammable too, and yet it's been common practice for decades to fit back boxes to timber noggins.  PIR is no worse in this specific application than timber, IMHO.

True. Always seemed a bit strange too me as everyone is 'fire hazard worried' (hood above a ceiling speaker!); guess I'd needn't worry though :-))))

Cheers

Would you not normally have battens prior to drywalling? I guess it depends on the construction but our MBC timberframe has racking board on both sides and then battens onto which the drywall is attached. 40mm cavity by virtue of the battens.