Kitchen sink - what is happening here?

daiking

After nearly 2 years of service, the kitchen sink waste decided to dump everything into the cupboard. 

The elbow piece was connected to the short leg of the u-bend. Except when I tried to refit it, I found the clear plastic ring was not pliable rubbery material but hard plastic and did not fit over the diameter of the elbow. And there is no rim or feature on the elbow to clamp everything right when I use the threaded part to tighten the joint.

what gives?

D8CDBF1C-D02C-4C7B-ACC0-600BA4928356.jpeg

Edited by daiking

That grey plastic arrangement is commonly referred to in the trade as a steaming bag of ?.

Disconnect it all and throw it in the bin, it's not worth any further effort, genuinely not worth it. ?

Buy yourself one of the mcalpine Single bowl combination traps and re plumb it, minus the grey crap. 

Is it bowl and a half or single bowl?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

That grey plastic arrangement is commonly referred to in the trade as a steaming bag of ?.

Disconnect it all and throw it in the bin, it's not worth any further effort, genuinely not worth it. ?

Buy yourself one of the mcalpine Single bowl combination traps and re plumb it, minus the grey crap. 

Is it bowl and a half or single bowl?

It’s a double bowl. 

I can can go and buy that but I’ll be quite sure it’s won’t match the existing length of the arrangement. 

That at was not intended to ever be a push fit connection was it?

i am not changing all of this

B6AB1FF6-7F89-4226-9104-185A46A0479D.jpeg

Edited by daiking

The McAlpine double bowl kit is easy to adjust to differing widths, as is the bowl and a half kit.  They have a telescoping pipe arrangement that makes them a doddle to fit.  This is the double bowl kit: http://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/sink-kits/sk2-double-bowl-sink-kit  and this is the bowl and a half kit: http://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/sink-kits/sk1-bowl-and-half-sink-kit

If you can hang on until Monday, then I can see if I have one.  Our sink came with the same, or very similar, silver/grey kit, and I just binned it and fitted either the McAlpine or the FloPlast kit, having had a previous bad experience with the grey ones, but I'm pretty sure I binned it in the "may come in handy one day" box, so with a bit of luck it may still be in there, and there may well be one of those odd-sized seals still on it.

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

If you can hang on until Monday, then I can see if I have one.  Our sink came with the same, or very similar, silver/grey kit, and I just binned it and fitted either the McAlpine or the FloPlast kit, having had a previous bad experience with the grey ones, but I'm pretty sure I binned it in the "may come in handy one day" box, so with a bit of luck it may still be in there, and there may well be one of those odd-sized seals still on it.

I'm don't think its a funny size. The same washer that forms the joint from silver plastic to 40mm waste pipe fits the silver fittings and creates a compression joint.

78p if I can swing by T/S https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Washers+%26+Fixings/sd2703/Trap+Sealing+Ring/p73882

Not sure if thats the existing size that doesn't fit :/

Edited by daiking

If it's a standard size then you may be in luck.  I have a feeling that the silver/grey kit that came with our sink had some odd sized pipes, as I looked at trying to use one of the bits for something and found it didn't fit a standard push or compression fit connector.

You could probably re-assemble what you have with CT1 and it'd go nowhere. Just clean all the parts first with Multisolve or meths. Leave to set overnight.

It'd just be fun if you ever wanted to get it apart again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

You could probably re-assemble what you have with CT1 and it'd go nowhere. Just clean all the parts first with Multisolve or meths. Leave to set overnight.

It'd just be fun if you ever wanted to get it apart again!

I'd go with that if changing it isn't an option. There aren't any nice rubber washers with those grey setups, just the nasty nylon type which compress less than a gnats hair :(

I went and had a dig around in my crate of "may come in handy" plumbing stuff this afternoon, hoping that the silver/grey kit would be there, but it looks as if I chucked the whole thing in the skip, I'm afraid.  Unusual for me, I'm well known for hoarding crap...............

@daiking, I've got a brand new set of grey pipework that came with our Franke sink (plumbers just left it in the bag): 

IMG_20171024_123605.thumb.jpg.fe6a5023c5cf7949383d9742cd47b739.jpgIMG_20171024_123652.thumb.jpg.c12d9cd8c469883b4191bcacc3a87532.jpg

It appears to have black versions of those clear tapered washers. Happy to mail the washers to you if they're the right size. What's the outer diameter of the pipework?

1 hour ago, jack said:

@daiking - BUMP!

I had been away for the weekend and back to civilisation today. I may whip it out later.

i am now needing a very thin washer of that type to fit the white waste pipe, presumably 38/40mm whatever it’s supposed to be. 

To be honest the grey pipe work barely fits on the waste pipe so wonder how these are supposed to be fitted. The grey compression bit barely moves 30mm up the pipe. It’s like that pipe has been tapered.

The sink so presumably the waste trap too is a rangemaster Atlantic kube I think.

If it's the same as the one in my pics above, the washer is tapered so that it wedges into the gap between the telescoping pipes. Tightening the screw ring pushes the wedge tighter into the gap between the telescoped parts to seal the joint. The pipes are actually a reasonable friction fit on mine - the outer pipe has a slight flair to its inner edge at its end, to make space for the seal to wedge in. 

I've measured, and inner diameter of the seals I have is about 39/40mm. I'm happy to send you what I've got, but it'd be good to know that there's a chance it'll actually fit before I head off to the post office. Why don't you measure it up when you get the chance and let me know.

13 hours ago, jack said:

If it's the same as the one in my pics above, the washer is tapered so that it wedges into the gap between the telescoping pipes. Tightening the screw ring pushes the wedge tighter into the gap between the telescoped parts to seal the joint. The pipes are actually a reasonable friction fit on mine - the outer pipe has a slight flair to its inner edge at its end, to make space for the seal to wedge in. 

I've measured, and inner diameter of the seals I have is about 39/40mm. I'm happy to send you what I've got, but it'd be good to know that there's a chance it'll actually fit before I head off to the post office. Why don't you measure it up when you get the chance and let me know.

Didnt happen last night. That’s exactly how it works. The problems is finding the correct fit and profile. 

12 hours ago, bassanclan said:

I would pi $$ about trying to fix it, waste a day messing about with this that and the other, then realise a Macalpine trap was the answer and fit it in 10 mins

What I can see happening is that something else won’t fit so I have to change that, and then another thing and then another thing and before I know it I’ll have had to replumb the entire f*****g thing.

its working at the moment so don’t jinx it.

Edited by daiking