Ward councillor

Russell griffiths

evening. 

We have been advised to make friends with our ward councillor as he will be playing a part in our planning application, has anybody got any tips or pointers on how to go about this the right way. 

I fancy a meeting in a park with a folded newspaper with a big wedge of £50 notes in it but my wife thinks we should do things correctly. 

Cheers. 

• Haha 1

In Scotland, councillors are quasi judicial (I think that is the term). You can lobby all you want but they make decisions on evidence not who cosies up to them. Not to say it doesn't happen of course but personally I would not even approach - given how obvious it would appear! No harm I meeting to discuss generally and that's it - if they all have to much involvement they would need to step aside from your decision in any case. I would focus on ensuring your application adheres to any local plans and a good supporting statement and appropriate evidence is presented. You could also 'meet the neighbours' if only to make them aware you're not a heavy metal, motorcycle cleaning driving loud living all hours person (which you might be in which case, maybe not) - if only to try make them less likely to object. 

46 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

In Scotland, councillors are quasi judicial (I think that is the term). You can lobby all you want but they make decisions on evidence not who cosies up to them. Not to say it doesn't happen of course but personally I would not even approach - given how obvious it would appear! No harm I meeting to discuss generally and that's it - if they all have to much involvement they would need to step aside from your decision in any case. I would focus on ensuring your application adheres to any local plans and a good supporting statement and appropriate evidence is presented. You could also 'meet the neighbours' if only to make them aware you're not a heavy metal, motorcycle cleaning driving loud living all hours person (which you might be in which case, maybe not) - if only to try make them less likely to object. 

@jamiehamy, when you look at some of the houses which get built, in places where they shouldn't, by people you know have managed to circumvent planning by whatever means, i think @Russell griffiths may have the best option :D

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

not a heavy metal, motorcycle cleaning driving loud living all hours person

In which case don't wear your AC/DC t-shirt, wash your hands and wear a tank top over your waistcoat.

Or you could just do the fifty quid note thing, unhelpful though it may be.

It's a hard one, how to influence strangers...(expletive deleted) it, I'd just be myself...bet you are a lovely lot anyway

Know whether they are on the Planning Committee, and perhaps find out a bit about their record first - just as a check so you know about them.

Generally I would say talk openly, but if they have a record of politicising stuff for personal electoral reasons (eg are they a Lib Dem :ph34r: or other 'pavement politics' type ? *) then you may want to keep a low profile if you are pushing limits.

I would also ask them early in the conversation (or their gofer beforehand) about if there is anything you might say by mistake to make them recuse themselves from Planning Committee decisions (though this is usually because they have a family link or personal interest).

These are rare red flags rather than usual issues.

Ferdinand

(* Happened to our bigger housing estate application 3 days before Committee via a mass-distribution leaflet but it was controversial locally in nimby terms.)

Edited by Ferdinand

So to be a bit clearer, we live on site already so know the neighbors (they love us) we are getting letters of support prepared. 

The case officer ? is not so supportive, so I have been told by our town planning company that we can approach the councillor as he will be next in line with the decision making if it is going to go to committee. 

I was just after some hints or tips on how to approach them, I have actually spoken to them previously regarding a planning application we wanted stopped.  The ? Down the road wants to put a concrete crushing plant in his yard. 

Not if I have anything to do with it he's not, but he will probably get it. 

Where as my little replacement dwelling will get refused. 

We just went to our local Councillor and asked him if he would support our application because the Planning Officer was being an awkward bugger. He did support us as did the Parish Council and as we didn't have any objectors the Planners were overridden unanimously when it went to the Planning Committee.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Thanks 1