Resin bound

Hecateh

6 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

I believe there is Resin Bound - which is permeable and as @AliG says, is expensive - £85 psm is what I have been quoted as a rough ball park figure. Then there is Resin Bonded which I believe is cheaper but NOT permeable.

Yes, I went through this, as I liked the look of the resin bonded surface, and there were several local companies that offered it at a reasonable price.  I couldn't make a resin bonded drive comply with the SuDs regulations, though, as the slope on our drive was too great for a linear interceptor drain to deal with.  We were forced to opt for a permeable surface, in order to comply with SuDs, so ended up using permeable pavers.  These were a fair bit cheaper than a resin bound surface.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sureset trade packs work out to about £30 sqm but the issue with all of the resin bound systems is they need a solid base. Some will work with type 1 but most need concrete which doubles the price .

Having read all their info ...  It can be laid on concrete - and originally had to be - but the cellular grid has negated the need for a concrete base (which wouldn't be permeable anyway).

I have to have permeable so concrete is out.

57 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I couldn't make a resin bonded drive comply with the SuDs regulations, though, as the slope on our drive was too great for a linear interceptor drain to deal with.  We were forced to opt for a permeable surface, in order to comply with SuDs, so ended up using permeable pavers.  These were a fair bit cheaper than a resin bound surface.

How steep was our slope as mine will have a slope?  I will research into permeable pavers as  haven't heard of them.

8 hours ago, Hecateh said:

How steep was our slope as mine will have a slope?  I will research into permeable pavers as  haven't heard of them.

It's flat at the top, but the mid-slope part exceeds the 1:15 maximum allowable by the planners, as I had to get a dispensation to exceed this.  I think it's about 1:10, then the slope reduces at the bottom, where it meets the lane.  Not only did we have to comply with SuDs, like everyone else now, but we also had a planning condition added stating that there was to be no run off from the development to the lane and hence into the stream alongside it. 

The permeable pavers we used were Bradstone Infilta, in Autumn: https://www.bradstone.com/products/driveway-block-paving/driveway-infilta-block-paving/ which work well.  Instead of being laid on a solid sub-base and sand (like whacked MOT Type 1), they have to be laid of a free draining sub-base of whacked  MOT Type 3 than 6mm grit, rather than sand, as the bedding.  The same grit is also used to fill in the larger gaps between the pavers.  In practice they don't end up looking any different to standard pavers, with the exceptions that you don't get ants under them (they don't like the grit) and water drains right through them.

Our sub-soil wasn't permeable, except in one small area, so we ended up digging a large hole under the drive and fitting 20 off heavy duty Aquacell crates, wrapped in terram, to form a surge holding tank.  This can hold nearly 4000 litres of run off, allowing it to drain away slowly over several hours after a very heavy down pour.  It seems to work well, as when test pumping our borehole I pumped around 20,000 litres per day into it for a couple of days, and there was no sign of any water at the bottom of the drive at all, it had all soaked through the pavers and drained away via the surge tank.

We had a resin bound bell mouth entrance, which has a drop of 270mm over 4m, to our drive installed a couple of years ago. It was constructed with 200mm compacted type1, then 70mm porous asphalt and 20mm resin bound surface. It is classed as porous because that is what the planners wanted. In reality we discharge all our rainwater directly onto the road.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

It's flat at the top, but the mid-slope part exceeds the 1:15 maximum allowable by the planners, as I had to get a dispensation to exceed this.  I think it's about 1:10, then the slope reduces at the bottom, where it meets the lane.  Not only did we have to comply with SuDs, like everyone else now, but we also had a planning condition added stating that there was to be no run off from the development to the lane and hence into the stream alongside it. 

I have had the same condition added - in reality it would be hard pushed to drain onto the road as the drive will be on a slope away from the road to my house.  I am going to need a drain to prevent all the road water running onto my property - not the other way round

The permeable pavers we used were Bradstone Infilta, in Autumn: https://www.bradstone.com/products/driveway-block-paving/driveway-infilta-block-paving/ which work well.  Instead of being laid on a solid sub-base and sand (like whacked MOT Type 1), they have to be laid of a free draining sub-base of whacked  MOT Type 3 than 6mm grit, rather than sand, as the bedding.  The same grit is also used to fill in the larger gaps between the pavers.  In practice they don't end up looking any different to standard pavers, with the exceptions that you don't get ants under them (they don't like the grit) and water drains right through them.

I'll get my builder to look at them and compare price.  I really like the look of the resin BUT slope of cost may make it impractical

Our sub-soil wasn't permeable, except in one small area, so we ended up digging a large hole under the drive and fitting 20 off heavy duty Aquacell crates, wrapped in terram, to form a surge holding tank.  This can hold nearly 4000 litres of run off, allowing it to drain away slowly over several hours after a very heavy down pour.  It seems to work well, as when test pumping our borehole I pumped around 20,000 litres per day into it for a couple of days, and there was no sign of any water at the bottom of the drive at all, it had all soaked through the pavers and drained away via the surge tank.

I'm hoping mine is more permeable than that sounds but not got to bore holes yet - I think that will be early next month

When I looked at the prices for the permeable pavers, the best price was from Simply Paving: https://simplypaving.com/bradstone-driveway-infilta-permeable-block-paving-autumn-200-x-100-x-60-8-08-m2-per-pack.html and even our very good local builder's merchant couldn't match their price, in fact they said they couldn't buy them at that price.  I will say that there was a snag with Simply Paving, in that we had to have two deliveries, by HIAB truck (it's not listed, but they do offer HIAB equipped delivery on request).  We didn't have enough flat space on site to store all the pallets of pavers needed in one go.  Their delivery driver ignored our instructions to find our plot, and instead of calling us, just turned around and headed back up to Coventry.  At around 3pm I rang them asking what was going on, because I had the drive chap sat waiting for pavers to arrive, only to be told that they were sending the driver back, but he'd run out of hours and would not be delivering until first thing the next day.  This sort of thing is one of the downsides with getting a decent price by buying from the web, I found.

I am so looking forward to fun and games with deliveries - not.  The site is at the end of a cul de sac with a dr's surgery at the top and no parking restrictions.  Sometimes it's a challenge to get a car down.  
Yellow lines are on the cards but not sure they will be in place when I start building.

9 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I am so looking forward to fun and games with deliveries - not.  The site is at the end of a cul de sac with a dr's surgery at the top and no parking restrictions.  Sometimes it's a challenge to get a car down.  
Yellow lines are on the cards but not sure they will be in place when I start building.

Deliveries can be a nightmare.  Our plot is fairly easy to get to, as long as sat nav directions aren't followed for the last mile or so.  With every single order we included a special note for the delivery driver to ignore their sat nav and follow written directions we included.  Despite this, around 70% of deliveries, including the one from Simply Paving, tried to come in via the very narrow top of our lane, which is impassable to anything much bigger than a Transit van. 

In the case of the paver delivery, the driver slept in his cab overnight and turned up back on site at around 8 am the next morning, very angry indeed. When he calmed down, I asked him to please read out what was written on his delivery note.  He then read out the instructions that said not to follow the sat nav, and that gave the wide route to the site.  He did calm down a bit after that....................

Often I used one local, independent, builder's merchant, not just because usually their prices were pretty good, but mainly because their delivery drivers were brilliant, and would always take care to put stuff exactly where we wanted it on site.  Some delivery drivers just want to get unloaded and off as soon as possible, with the worst, by far, in our experience being concrete trucks.  We had one concrete truck driver that took the wrong route to the site three times in the same day, despite having been told after every time that there was an easy route in.

25 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

If you are handy then there's companies that sell kits for you to do it yourself.

https://www.vubasupplies.co.uk/landscaping/resin-surfacing.html

This says it has to go onto a concrete or asphalt substrate.  The one I linked to used a plastic grid on compacted hardcore to enable drainage.  You can still buy it iin kit form