Resin bound

Hecateh

The one in the video looks like resin bond, the water doesn't run through it. I wonder if this is why it is so dirty. This also presumably wouldn't meet the regs on a new build if you were asked for a porous surface.

Ours is resin bound and you can put an enormous amount of water on it and it just disappears and runs through it.

It seems to be holding up pretty well it mainly just needs some twigs swept up at the moment.

Our off white render and very porous sandstone is another matter. I need to get out and clean some of that.

Edited by AliG

• 11 months later...

Some really good info here guys thx. Im leaning towards getting a resin bound drive now but am worried with the maintenance as one guy said its a bit overrated and whilst it looks nice on day 1, tyre marks will eventually ruin in especially if coming back from a long journey on a hot day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience on that?

12 minutes ago, Petey said:

Some really good info here guys thx. Im leaning towards getting a resin bound drive now but am worried with the maintenance as one guy said its a bit overrated and whilst it looks nice on day 1, tyre marks will eventually ruin in especially if coming back from a long journey on a hot day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience on that?

Had mine down since Jan 2018 and, when cleaned, looks almost as good as new.

Like any exterior surface, if you ignore it it will get grubby.

Get a jet waster with the patio attachment and give it a scrub in the spring. Stiff brush or blower good for moving leaves etc in autumn.

Use a reputable trade - quite a few chancers out there. My guy had the bespoke 'candyfloss' style mixer. If they're using bell mixers, run away.

That whole area was laid in one day so no joins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petey said:

Some really good info here guys thx. Im leaning towards getting a resin bound drive now but am worried with the maintenance as one guy said its a bit overrated and whilst it looks nice on day 1, tyre marks will eventually ruin in especially if coming back from a long journey on a hot day.

Sounds like nonsense to me. It doesn't get much heavier than my Tesla and it has absolutely no impact on the driveway.

Mine still looks almost as good as new. I have found some small tufts of grass where seeds must've fallen into it, but other than that it looks clean.

• Like 1

Learnt a new fact today. Didn't know a tesla weighed so much, instinctively, an electric car without ICE would be lighter... School day.

Guess its no diff to other lighter shade driveways which can mark/stain as well. 

45 minutes ago, Petey said:

Learnt a new fact today. Didn't know a tesla weighed so much, instinctively, an electric car without ICE would be lighter

You can probably add around 200kg to a similar sized ICE car for the batteries.

My Model X weighs in at around 2400KG.

However, because the batteries are so low down, it handles quite similarly to something like a Q7 even though that is 3-400KG lighter.

I used to have a Range Rover Sport, officially they are around 2150kg, but people take them to weigh bridges and they seem to be much heavier. Land Rovers are the only cars I have seen that consistently accelerate much more slowly than their quoted performance figures.

Model 3s are relatively light for an electric car which considerably helps their performance and range.

Cars have been getting heavier, faster, more powerful and slightly more economical for a long time.

Loads of relatively normal cars do 0-60 in under 6 seconds now.

I remember lusting over the crazy performance of the Lotus Carlton as a teenager. My electric SUV now has similar performance despite being almost 50% heavier. It also does the equivalent of roughly 90MPG compared to low 20s.