Hecateh

7 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

What...no sarking

For the extra few Bob I don't know why it's not standard throughout the UK.

Aren't sarking and felt the same thing?

16 minutes ago, billt said:

It is in England. In Scotland sarking is wooden boards, these days likely to be OSB sheets.

and you meant the boards - must admit it sounds better - however we are (me and my builder) already in dispute of what comes under the quote and what is going to be charged extra.  And - as he's the builder I am probably going to be even further over budget - so no more extras.

Our roof has 18mm OSB sarking boards, too, and we're only about 30 miles or so from the South Coast.  It's always seemed daft not to board a roof to me, for a whole host of reasons.  The sarking boards stiffen up the roof a great deal, they stop a roofer putting his/her foot through the membrane, they improve airtightness on the outside, reducing "wind wash" of roof internal insulation, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

This week I was left owing under £3k

I have had a minimum of 5 workers here every day.  8 until 6 Monday to Wednesday.  7 - 6 Thursday,  6 - 6.30 Friday and 6 - 6.30 today.

Made them bacon butties this morning and Pizza this evening.  

Half this effort a few weeks ago and we wouldn't have been in this situation. 

Scaffolding down and relatively clear site

DSCF1281.JPG

DSCF1279.JPG

DSCF1277.JPG

• Like 2

Looks a nice shell to be getting on with that.

Weird ref gables. It's mix down here, some places have gables viewed head on from the road. I understand it was a planning condition of our garage (we didn't build it) to have a hip facing the road. All that wasted space!

Our ridge is parallel to the road and we have hips. I'd love to change to gables.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Electricity finally connected today. Yay!

Windows were fitted last week and doors are supposed to be tomorrow.  

I will then have a finished shell.  Whilst there is lots still to do I think a fully watertight shell is a definite landmark and reason to celebrate - even though I had hoped to be in by now.  

My current house will hopefully be fully on the market by the weekend in order to get the bank holiday viewers.  Hopefully my luck will be in and someone will fall in love with it.  

• Like 4

Uh oh!  I think i have a bird nesting in the rafters of the new house.  Just been standing in there ruminating and could hear a constant tweet, sounding like an alarm tweet.  There is still a 2.7m gap where the patio doors are going to be as well as 2 doorways so I don't think the issue is finding it's way out.  I can't see a nest but there must be a reason that bird was going nowhere.  There was a collared dove in there last week but that made a hasty exit when I went in.  

Maybe light a disposable BBQ in there and smoke the little bugger out.

Weve got Capt. McChirpface on the gutter at around 05:00 everyday waking everyone up. 

He'll be getting a cricket bat around the ear if he doesn't shut his little beak up. 

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Maybe light a disposable BBQ in there and smoke the little bugger out.

Weve got Capt. McChirpface on the gutter at around 05:00 everyday waking everyone up. 

He'll be getting a cricket bat around the ear if he doesn't shut his little beak up. 

At least it isn’t a peacock.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Uh oh!  I think i have a bird nesting in the rafters of the new house.  Just been standing in there ruminating and could hear a constant tweet, sounding like an alarm tweet.  There is still a 2.7m gap where the patio doors are going to be as well as 2 doorways so I don't think the issue is finding it's way out.  I can't see a nest but there must be a reason that bird was going nowhere.  There was a collared dove in there last week but that made a hasty exit when I went in.  

If it’s a collared dove you can shoot it provided you can prove damage to crops.

Or make like Cromwell and use a pike. if the head stays embedded in a rafter you get instant tradition.

• Haha 1

the dove flew out.  There is a fledgling greenfinch up in the rafters.

I've opened  all the windows and am hoping it will find it's way out.  It's flown into the glass a few times though so it is wary of trying

Collared doves make the most annoying noise. 

My neighbours used to keep doves (aka manky pigeons) in a dovecote. They used to spend all day on my other neighbour’s roof and crap all over it. They were hoping that when we built our house they would use our roof instead but they never did lol. One day he got pissed off with them and threw a rock at them that missed and went through his bathroom window :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree their noise is soooo irritating.  They nest (well pil a few twigs) behind the Sky Dish,  Had three lots of babies lat year, even though I removed the nest between times.  This year they have had one baby, I removed the nest straight after it fledged, (about a month ago) and no sign of them since.  As I'm selling they aren't going to get chance to build another this year.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Milestone Moment

2018-06-20_13_48_05.thumb.jpg.b02a29a9b46aad8a21ecd9b4734ea3a1.jpg

Front door panel finally fitted - wishing I had done the same for the back door as well now.  The panel is much more contemporary for a new build and as both doors can be seen it would have looked better2018-06-20_13_48_46.thumb.jpg.0c88d5b3d1b272bdffad536da57f9985.jpg

patio doors finally fitted 2018-06-20_13_50_05.thumb.jpg.5c4947025754535c9f271352cae7d6e7.jpg

and open - the door to the right folds right back against the house, will need to fit some sort of restrain for it.  2018-06-20_13_55_53.thumb.jpg.967873baab08d9491b8c588981d59caf.jpg

• Like 5