Hecateh

Been slow going because of the weather.  And I've photographed more of these 

DSCF1182.thumb.JPG.4e8c6e81d371af6f507ae7c6d5d8a3b2.JPG

but this is where I am now

5a9340f2ae7bf_8amfeb23.jpg.dc0dc53a036f611f11605e93186a82a3.jpg

2 weeks should have seen the roof ready if not on BUT Met Office suggests not.  Hopefully the predictions are worst case scenarios - and we can at least make some progress.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Nice tidy site and blockwork looks good too. 

No room to be untidy LOL 

As far as the blockwork is concerned - I have a young but ambitious guy/company as main contractor.  Positives and negatives but although this is a very small project (in building terms) it is their flagship and as such they are really working hard to get it right

The "GAS SUPPLY SAGA".
On Wednesday afternoon a team arrived with cones, barriers and warning signs.

On Thursday midday(ish) a team arrived but stood around for an hour because until they could get confirmation that yet another team was going to arrive with the plates to cover the works overnight. They couldn't start until the team was here - or nearly here in case of emergency requiring emergency service access. When the new team was an hour away they began to break the surface but no more again because of emergency access. When the team arrived they then dug a hole in order to find the existing main, which was laid before the advent of computers, when drawings were accurate but were not always accurately transferred to early computers (probably because many people believed that computers would always be secondary to hard copy). Luckily, it was, more or less, where it should be.

Having found the main and dug the road from existing side to mine. the other team then craned the plates into place.

The following day, Friday, they arrived to lay the pipes to my property, unfortunately, the team to remove the plates would not be able to get there for at least 2 hours. Fortunately, my team had a digger on site that was able to shift the plates, and so the gas got laid, just in time for the arrival of the crane team to replace the plates.

On Saturday morning, the team to remove the plates arrived first and sat for an hour waiting for the road mending team to arrive. When they arrived the 'plate team' moved the plates but didn't remove them, left then on the road, 'in case', The filling team then mended the road, respraying yellow lines on their work. Later that day the 'plate team' came and picked up the plates. This morning, Monday, another guy came and collected the cones, barriers etc etc.

I was told previously the whole thing was a 'half day' job. Well I guess it was - just spread over 6 days (or 5 if we discount Sunday)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

Ours just closed the road for 4 days!  

Can't do that because it is a cul de sac, so it cannot be left without access, Neighbours are 'rather upset' every time there is a delivery which means they can't get out when they want to (some are worse than others) to the extent that there is shouting and swearing and threats made.  

As it happens I have been watching some contractors laying gas to a house where I have been working for a couple of days. In this case they only have to dig up a pavement, not a road, so just fencing off the trench seems okay, but 1 1/2 days in , they have done about 10 metres, only another 20 to go, then up the side of the house and in the back.  I hate to think how much it is costing.

44 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Down here they only charge about £500 per plot for gas.  Must be subsidised.

Gas quote came in at £1270 discounted to £385.  It's the electricity that is shocking at £8700 as the nearest is at full capacity so they have to go back to a main supply about 75 yards away

30 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

It's the electricity that is shocking at £8700

I am sure no pun intended.  That is a lot for a trench and some cable!  Can you go to one of the other providers for a quote?  The market is supposedly a bit more open nowadays.

7 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Can't do that because it is a cul de sac, so it cannot be left without access, Neighbours are 'rather upset' every time there is a delivery which means they can't get out when they want to (some are worse than others) to the extent that there is shouting and swearing and threats made.  

I think it’s been said before but don’t let the ba*tards grind you down !

I know it’s not easy to ignore that kind of abuse,but you’re going to have a lovely new home to move into.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I am sure no pun intended.  That is a lot for a trench and some cable!  Can you go to one of the other providers for a quote?  The market is supposedly a bit more open nowadays.

Pun was definitely intended :ph34r:.  Contacted 3 other companies for quotes - all declined, or didn't even bother responding to my enquiry

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

My God @Hecateh. Just checking you have looked into  the work that might reasonably be contested? 

I put a post on here when I first got the quote (

Our electricity supply was £5000.

From a telegraph pole about 50m away. Most of it through soft grass verge.

We had to cross a single track carriage way. No road closure was necessary.

Took 3 days as the first day the contractors sat in the van from 8am until 2pm waiting for someone to bring some reflective barriers & signage.

Apart from this all was very good.

I had tried to get quotes for the contestable works from a list of approved contractors.

Non were interested as such a small job.

I had 1 company respond with a quote that was about the same price as Western Power.

I have to say Western Power were very helpful.

Their connections chap visited the site on a couple of occasions & was very informative with regard to PV installation.

They followed up with a site visit after the work to make sure we were happy with the work & the service.

All in all happy but it was very expensive.

44 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Our electricity supply was £5000.

From a telegraph pole about 50m away. Most of it through soft grass verge.

We had to cross a single track carriage way. No road closure was necessary.

Took 3 days as the first day the contractors sat in the van from 8am until 2pm waiting for someone to bring some reflective barriers & signage.

Apart from this all was very good.

I had tried to get quotes for the contestable works from a list of approved contractors.

Non were interested as such a small job.

Similar experience then - no interest in small jobs from those able to do it

Although mine isn't as far as yours, it is all under tarmac; the first half will be pavement so no road closure the second half is cul de sac road so will require daytime closure and plates overnight.
Just one more occasion to grit my teeth; take it on the chin; man up; not get my knickers in a twist; bite the bullet; rephrase it; Keep a stiff upper lip; come to terms with; put it behind be and move on.  9_9

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly up to roofline.  I think 2 lads are coming back in tomorrow to finish off the corners.

A whole week of decent weather and full team on site have seen loads done this week

DSCF1258.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

Nearly up to roofline.  I think 2 lads are coming back in tomorrow to finish off the corners.

A whole week of decent weather and full team on site have seen loads done this week

DSCF1258.JPG

Looking good :)

I managed to get my slab poured this week, it has been ready since before Christmas!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckylad said:

Those bricks are a lovely colour and I like the corbel design.

That view is amazing!

That view is fantastic and the main reason why I decided to self build rather than just buy somewhere else.  I was looking to downsize and had got my head round the lack of space but I've had that view from my lounge for nearly 20 years - to only look out onto other houses was a step too far.  

Edited by Hecateh

• 2 weeks later...

Building getting there and the first joist up this morning.  Couldn't get the delivery vehicle down the road so had to be handballed off the truck and then individually carried down the road and or lifted up to the roof.  Could job it is only single floor from this side,

26_march_billy.jpg

20180404_112734[1].jpg

Edited by Hecateh
  • Like 5