Hecateh

Hello

I decided it was time to retire and downsize to fund my retirement.  Took retirement and couldn't find anything I liked at a price I was willing to pay.  The main reasons being I have fabulous views over open countryside from my current house and anything modern, which I wanted for ease of maintenance was a tiny little box.  So I decided to explore the possibilities of building in my 100' by 40' garden.  That was late last year - I am now just a few weeks off the building starting.  Planning permission is in place and plans currently with building control.  

I haven't the first idea what I am doing and am excited and scared in equal measure.  
Having just read a few posts on here I can see me being a regular visitor and asking lots of questions.  I just hope I can understand the answers. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome

A couple of photos of my view.  The new house will be similar but clearly from lower down.

It's on quite a steep slope so will be split level.  Going up to bedroom from entry and down to lounge.  

The bedroom has a small inset balcony

DSCF0660.JPG

DSCF1063.JPG

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (10).png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

That's a fantastic view, is there a nice English pub nearby...idealic

Edge of a former pit village.  Half a dozen pubs in within about 5 minutes but the country ones are a mile or so away.  
It is fabulous though.  Definitely why I didn't want to move far.  That's my view and within a hundred yards on the other side, Coop supermarket, 2 banks, 2 doctors, post office, pubs, etc etc.  Oh and 5 mins from the M1 too.  Can't beat it

Edited by Hecateh
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I am really looking forward to seeing how this progresses and hope that this forum provides lots of useful help and guidance.

I can't wait - and I will definitely post progress :) 

4 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Thanks for the welcome

A couple of photos of my view.  The new house will be similar but clearly from lower down.

It's on quite a steep slope so will be split level.  Going up to bedroom from entry and down to lounge.  

The bedroom has a small inset balcony

DSCF1063.JPG

Is that Holy Trinity at Wentworth in  the distance ..?? It’s a very distinctive steeple there ..!

Yes - PeterW it is.  I agree it is pretty distinctive but to recognise it you must have seen it from somewhere near where I live.
The tree in the foreground is in the garden just beyond mine

Edited by Hecateh
clarify

6 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Welcome.

Are you at risk of those trees swallowing that view, and what can you do about it? (Suspect not a lot)

The neighbour with the close tree usually tops the tree every couple of years.  He was going to do it this year BUT when he got notice of my planning decided to leave it as he is scared m

my new bungalow with overlook him more - it won't.  Hopefully once my new place is built he will bring it down to a better height.  The bigger problem is off to the other side where there is an enormous ash with a TPO on it.  Apart from those 2 trees though I have a near 180 degree countryside view so I'm not too worried.

Further in the distance though. When I moved here I could see the reservoir in the bottom of the valley.  I can now only see it in winter because of the trees. 

Edited by Hecateh

As a general issue, neighbours can be a bane with building: objections and complaints to planning enforcement.  It is usually well worth your while spending some effort on keeping them on-side by keeping them well informed and listening to their concerns and where practical helping to address them positively.  This can be a pain, I know, but it is usually a lot simpler than a consequential debate with a planning enforcement officer.

Before my plans went in to planning I spoke with all but one of the neighbours and told them of my plans and that I would keep them informed.  They were all fine.  The one I didn't speak to I never see him and when I say hello to her she puts her head down and hurries past.

He really objected when he got the planning notice - got all the others riles up and they attended the planning meeting to object.  None of their objections were anything that could be taken into account as all planning criteria are met.  Planning was granted with no problems but I can see this guy, regardless of me letting him know about deliveries is going to want to move hi car whenever I have a delivery that temporarily blocks the road.  

The house I currently live in was built for my grandparents and was the only one down here for years the others not being built until 20 or 30 years later.  I know my aunt objected to them being built but couldn't do anything about it for the same reason they can't do anything about my new one.  

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

...  The bigger problem is off to the other side where there is an enormous ash with a TPO on it.  Apart from those 2 trees though I have a near 180 degree countryside view so I'm not too worried

Chances are Ash Die back will see to that in due course. There's barely an Ash tree left alive up here now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Trouble with that is ... I am windward of it 

I think you mean leeward?   Windward means you are upwind of it so it won't fall on you.

It won't immediately fall down when it dies and a responsible land owner would fell a dead tree long before it rots and becomes unsafe.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The house that I hope to live in whilst the new one is being built is now up for sale!!!!

I'm funding the build with a bridging loan and one of the company's conditions is that the house that is security is up for sale because statistics say it take 8 to 9 months in this area to sell an house.   
It's not ready to sell and I'm certainly not ready to sell it BUT for sale it is.

Thank **** that there is a new breed of Estate Agents, £99 and within 2 hours, - my own photos and description, and it is up there on Right Move etc,  

@ProDave It's priced at a level that anyone would be mad to buy at - but at the top end of what will be realistic when everything is finished.  If someone really really wants it at that price then I would be prepared to move in with my son and rent for a while.  If my builder is right and it only takes 3 months to build (yeah right!) then I could probably delay completion until moving day anyway.  If it sells, there is plenty of delay I can build in as there would be all sorts of legal issues as the boundary won't be properly sorted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Image may contain: sky, tree, plant, outdoor and natureImage may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Getting stuck in to Fort Knox foundations this morning. 

This programme has blended two separate photos/  I took one of the site and a panoramic of the view - which looks kind of moody with the low mist. Dragged them both on here and it has melded them = amazing.

• Like 2