Hecateh

4 minutes ago, Tyke2 said:

Did you look at Shaw Carpets factory shop at Darton. I haven't been for a few years , but it used to be great.

That's a good idea, I still need a carpet for my stairs so will go and have a look

• 2 months later...

Today is the day, I am moving my body!

I have been taking car loads of stuff down every day this week and today some friends are coming to carry the beds and sofas down so tonight I will be sleeping under my new roof for the first time.

Not even excited any more, I am just so fed up of it all.

Electrician and Plumbers were both supposed to be coming this week to do a few bits - surprise, surprise, neither has turned up. 

The UFH has air in the system; I  have had to top the water up twice already.  It is running way too hot and doesn't seem to be controlled by the thermostat, with thermostat set at 15 degrees, the temp was up at 24 degrees, so I have just been putting it on for an hour or two each day whilst I have not been living there.

Oh and my 'smart' meter says I have used £1.20 of fuel today, that is with nothing running at all and the boiler switched off.

• Like 8

Try and ignore all the niggles today and get installed. Crack that bottle open and after a few glasses everything will seem more rosy. Tomorrow is time enough for the niggles.

Congratulations @Hecateh you have done an amazing job in spite of everything.

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the UFH.  I wonder what the mental block is that prevents some people just setting up an UFH system so it works.  Mine just worked first time, it's not rocket science.  I hope you get it sorted soon.

We were glad to move into a part finished house,infinitely better than a cold cramped static caravan, with the bonus that you can spread the butter in the morning.

Try to enjoy your new surroundings in the knowledge all the niggles will get sorted out. This forum will give you all the help you need with that.

• Thanks 1

Although we sort of partly lived in the new house for ages before selling the old house and moving permanently, there was a massive sense of relief when we sold the old house and moved in permanently.  The burden of the old house is one that I'm very glad to be rid of - there was nothing wrong with it, but it was just so unpleasant in so many ways from the new house that we couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Enjoy your new house; I'm sure the niggles that need fixing will come right one at a time.  I share @ProDave's view about someone not being able to get UFH to work first time.  I have no idea why we seem to have so many trades people that don't seem to know what they are doing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I share @ProDave's view about someone not being able to get UFH to work first time.  I have no idea why we seem to have so many trades people that don't seem to know what they are doing.

Well mine was a triumph! :D

Well done for getting it to this stage @Hecateh. I can understand the lack of excitement about the move too as in my case I moved into a single (albeit large) room simply because that was preferable to living in a caravan. Building a house is a slog not a joy most of the time. You have done really well to get to this stage, and to put it in perspective despite all of the difficulties you have managed it in a year. Many people take much longer than this so be proud. The UFH? Well that probably just needs a tweak hopefully. @lizzie's was running way too hot for ages so maybe it's something like that? If you are clocking up electricity costs with the boiler switched off are you sure there isn't an immersion on or something? You'll need to monitor things and maybe switch a few things off at the CU to work out what's going on potentially. And look on the bright side - at least it's too hot and not freezing cold! I hope you've got a decent bottle of something to toast your success. You deserve it! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  It still doesn't feel real.  I am sitting in the lounge and the friends have all just gone.  I had 6 people here, including my son, helping and the place felt pretty small with all those people in but new feels plenty big enough.  Although my sofas are a bit out of proportion to the space.

One thing at least is working.  I could get wifi just inside the door of the new house but not in the lounge.  I bought a wifi repeater and it is now working fine in the lounge. Which means I should be able to connect the TV to the fire stick as I haven't yet got an aerial.   I am thinking of getting a dish and going with free sat.

Currently living it up with a Pot Noodle as all my dry food stuff is down here, fridge and freezer stuff still in the old place.  Plates and dishes etc down here but cutlery still in the top house (apart from a couple of teaspoons,) and no fresh stuff as I tried to use it all up before moving.  

Edited by Hecateh
  • Like 4

Re electricity usage.  Forget the silly remote monitor thingy they give you, I keep hearing how in accurate they are (I can't understand why that should be the case).  Just take a daily reading from the dial actually on the meter itself and record that, take the reading at the same time each day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Do the remote monitors also include the standing charge?  I have a suspicion that some may, and this may be a possible reason why they seem to be in error (and I agree, I've also heard lots of tales of them being way out).

That's what I was wondering too

Well done getting in! We’re in too but it feels a bit like camping, sofas set up in the room that is still waiting for the staircase which was supposed to be last week but now will possibly be this coming week, can’t really get properly set up till that’s done but you seem to be quite comfortable, enjoy!

• Like 1

Yep, I have everything I need down here - now.  

It helps that the other house is only 20 m away so if there s anything I need it's easy enough to go and get it.

My son stayed last night.  He brought a pizza and a bottle of fizz.

Had to go back to the old house to cook the Pizza as my oven is not connected down here, but no big deal.

By 3 am we had added 4 bottles of my Christmas fizz to the mix.  We both slept like logs despite no curtains - and I have done very little today lol

Edited by Hecateh
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 14/12/2018 at 22:54, Hecateh said:

the box is there because some bozo has a floodlight set to come on at dusk and stay on all night.

Local councils have powers to deal with this type of problem, I once reported the poorly installed staff carpark flood lighting at my local police station.

13 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Local councils have powers to deal with this type of problem, I once reported the poorly installed staff carpark flood lighting at my local police station.

Indeed they do, under "nuisance", and probably the EH Department.

In the meantime a mirror carefully directed?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2

Love the idea of a concave mirror, carefully aimed to shine the light straight back as a focussed beam.

Around here we have the "outside light police", as the AONB is trying to gain "Dark Skies" accreditation.  As a consequence no one has any bright outside lights and everyone walks around the village with torches at this time of the year.  I had to seek approval for our low power (10 W) outside lights from the bloke that polices the Dark Skies thing, but he was fine with them as long as they were all on PIR switched timers and pointed downwards. 

One really nice feature of having very dark skies here is that we get to see things like satellites and the ISS transiting overhead, as well as getting a good view of meteor events (when it's not too cloudy).

• Like 1

I have thought about reporting it BUT it is outside a house belonging to someone who objected to me building.  Would any report definitely be anonymous?  It's far brighter than the one streetlam I can see.  Definitely not 'dark skies' though round here.  Although, it's not bad on a clear night;  on a cloudy night, the whole sky has a kind of yellow hue.

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

They are not supposed to say who has complained but it might be obvious? Do you care though if they are toss.. idiots? I favour the mirror solution! Lots of fun to be had with that! :D

If it was the idiots that complained about every delivery then I would agree.  As they are just the peripherals, who added their support to a letter and left it at that, I don't feel vindictive.  I doubt they are even aware of a possible issue.  I am (probably) the only affected person. lol

???

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I couldn’t condone it but a well placed air rifle pellet usually sends the right message .... especially from the angle that it came from a neighbours house ....!

I'd ask you to come and do it for me except it's only on overnight lol.

Not really sure what time it comes on as I can't see it from the lounge but I know it goes off at 7am