MVHR pipework camera?

Any suggestions how to look at all of the MVHR pipework?  (System doesn't 'feel' as effective as did prior to house blower test and have a small fly issue from one vent)

Just wondering if I can push a mini wifi camera through the pipework without straining the pipework - most radi not too bad once camera got into pipework from room vents.

Would a drainage camera work?

Other ideas?

I have a small camera on about 60m or so of cable that i made up to check our borehole.  It has a small monitor and the ability to record reasonable video.  The camera is about 25mm diameter, with a ring of white LEDS to provide enough light.  It runs from it's own 12V rechargeable battery.  The only slight snag might be that postage could be costly, as the camera and cable is on a steel cable drum and the monitor, video recorder and battery pack is in a small alloy case.

4 minutes ago, readiescards said:

Thanks Jeremy. I think I can do something similar but I'm just curious what radii the steel cable will go round as some of the runs are convoluted. 

Oh and what cable is it? Or where did you source it please?

How are you going to get the camera down the pipe if it is so convoluted?

My new borehole camera uses professional studio/stage mic cable, the very tough stuff that is around 7mm diameter, with a screen, two cores, plus internal cords to add strength.  I bought an "offcut" of around 62m left over from a 300m reel, from a professional stage sound system company.  They were selling offcuts and end of rolls on ebay.  It takes video just fine, so I use one core for power, one for composite video and the screen.

7 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

How are you going to get the camera down the pipe if it is so convoluted?

My worse case bends are probably a radii of twice the pipe diameter so around 150mm, so I think should be camera/cable friendly but there are some 2.4metre vertical sections - however it is primarily the first floor vents I'm interesting in which have no vertical sections. 

4 hours ago, readiescards said:

Is it a cable that can be 'pushed'?  As I'm assuming for a bore hole you are simply dropping the camera down suspended on the cable so no need to 'push' it? Many thanks

Probably, as ducts are pretty smooth inside.  One snag with mine is that I made the camera housing from a bit of solid brass bar, as I wanted it to be heavy, so it would sink.  For pushing along a duct the camera needs to be kept really light in weight, I think, so that it doesn't tend to kink the cable.

I do have another bullet camera, with LED lights, that is just on the end of a length of very thin cable (not sure how long, probably only around 4m).  I fitted this to the end of a length of 20mm conduit and used it to probe through the space between the ceiling and floor when I needed to run an extra data cable that I'd forgotten about at first fix.  The camera has a female thread on the end (whatever the thread used on camera tripods is - something odd and imperial I think) and could be adapted to fit to something like a 6mm Cobra, perhaps.

I may be able to fit a much longer cable to this, as I have a feeling that I have around 40m or so of the same thin (around 3 to 4mm diameter) cable around somewhere.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Cheers for the idea, just tried it with a short version I already have, going to need to work out what lens I need.

171017_205622.jpg

11 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Probably, as ducts are pretty smooth inside.  One snag with mine is that I made the camera housing from a bit of solid brass bar, as I wanted it to be heavy, so it would sink.  For pushing along a duct the camera needs to be kept really light in weight, I think, so that it doesn't tend to kink the cable.

I do have another bullet camera, with LED lights, that is just on the end of a length of very thin cable (not sure how long, probably only around 4m).  I fitted this to the end of a length of 20mm conduit and used it to probe through the space between the ceiling and floor when I needed to run an extra data cable that I'd forgotten about at first fix.  The camera has a female thread on the end (whatever the thread used on camera tripods is - something odd and imperial I think) and could be adapted to fit to something like a 6mm Cobra, perhaps.

I may be able to fit a much longer cable to this, as I have a feeling that I have around 40m or so of the same thin (around 3 to 4mm diameter) cable around somewhere.

Would be curious to know what a view down a bit of ducting looks like if you have a spare moment.  If that looks good I'll happily replicate here

1 hour ago, readiescards said:

Would be curious to know what a view down a bit of ducting looks like if you have a spare moment.  If that looks good I'll happily replicate here

I'll see if I can record a bit of video from inside a duct with it.  I think it should slide in fairly easily, as the smooth inner lining inside the semi-flexible ducting seems pretty slippery.  I have some 6mm nylon pneumatic pipe around somewhere, that should be stiff enough to push the camera, so will try just taping it to that and seeing how it works.

• Like 1