Just getting ready to pull the cables through the comms duct to the garden room from the utilities center. (45m run ) Will be a model for the main house. So far I have:

2 x CAT 6. ( 1 for the home network and one for control systems network - somewhat experimental.)

1 x 6 core phone cable. Not absolutely required but will allow me to run a phone line down there separate from the house line.

1 x 3 core flexible to carry the smoke alarm signals from the garden room smoke alarms - not sure how to organise this electrically but 3 cores should be enough even if volt free contact.

1 x 6 core alarm cable for the intruder alarm.

I wonder if I should also pull in a 4 core fibre?

What have I forgotten?

Edited by MikeSharp01
Typo - and without a drink - stoptober you know!

Guest Alphonsox

I would loose the phone cable and replace it with another CAT6. You can always use CAT6 as a phone connection if it proves necessary.

Do you need to separate the alarm from the smoke detectors ? Why not just use another zone (or overload the tamper) on the alarm system.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

CCTV over the network I assume?

Yes that is the plan. Will get a load more CAT 6 by the sounds of it, its a 70mm duct so can get loads down it and there will be plenty of room for later projects. I will put 4 CAT 6 in.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Don't you want a 4 core for the smokes?

It was only the neutral and alarm I needed to send down to the house smoke alarms so the house alarms go off with the garden room ones and vice versa. I was using the millstone manor firex model where one common wire connects all the alarms so they go off together and there is (can be) a relay that interfaces to the house alarm wanted to KISS. Although you can double pole isolate the power to the garden room or the house which would mean that the smoke alarms in one place could be live from the other - might need  rethink of that!

So: (thanks all)

4 x CAT 6

1 x 6 core alarm cable.

1 x 3 core smoke alarm signal. (Assuming safe operation can be achieved)

1 x Draw rope (was going to  be one anyway @Ferdinand.)

• Like 1