Finally finished the front garden.

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have had the same issue with new turf.  Caught about 10 in the end.  Tried gas as well, but the mole traps did the job more effectively.  Apparently they are mostly solitary, but they certainly were for from it in our case.

Well done. I just hope we haven't got 10!

I remember the day our cat caught a mole and brought it into the garden (newly laid turf).  Having rescues it from the cat, I only just managed to grab the mole by it's tail before it dug its way from sight.  Released a good distance away from my house.

Makes you wonder how many moles are set loose by warring neighbours...

There is an excellent bit of kit sold in the French equivalent of B&Q, Bricomarché .  When staying with friends who used to live down in the Loire valley we had a play with it, as they had a mole problem in the paddock at the back of their house and had a couple of Irish Wolfhounds, a breed that is both pretty stupid and prone to breaking their legs when they trip over a mole hole when running.

The website for the device is here: http://www.detaupeur.com/  and it consists of an explosive charge on the end of a couple of feet of wire, plus a battery box and detonating switch on a stake, that is positioned right at the entrance to a mole hole.  What happens is that the mole climbs over the charge, pokes his snout at the plunger switch, and gets blown up from behind.  IIRC the kit comes with a handful of explosive charges and wasn't expensive.

There was a certain satisfaction to be gained from being woken in the night by a loud bang from the paddock, indicating that yet another mole had met it's maker.

I'm always amazed by the stuff that's openly on sale in shops in France.  Everything from bottles of chemicals being sold on supermarket shelves to these explosive mole killers.  The charges are about the size of a small banger, but do have an electric detonator, so would be ideal for use by terrorists making larger bombs.  Just to buy the electric detonator here would mean holding an explosives licence with the right authority to buy and store them.  It used to be easy to get an explosives licence here (I had one for a few years), no more difficult than getting a shotgun certificate, but I believe that it's now a great deal harder.

These French devices have been on sale there for at least 12 years that I know of, as it was around 2004/5 when we used them to get rid of a few moles in my friend's paddock, and they are well regarded in France as being the best way to get rid of moles.

Edited by JSHarris