mrs

lesley

Not sure if I am doing this bit the right way round .... but have joined this site for help and advice .. as it looked very informative. what I am needing on this occasion is advice on finding the right connector ... I have bought second hand flavel oven..dual fuel .. bought the lpg jets ..fitted them ..but the gas supply fitting at back of cooker is for mains...I only have an orange hose and jubilee clip from my last oven .. what do I need please ??? .. there is only me my dad is 89 now... and he struggles to remember what day it is now  .. so any advice would be welcome ?

When we moved in we wanted an lpg cooker

the best thing to do is find your nearest gas safe plumber who will come and fit your bottle(you are better off with 2) fit a test point and change over valve and check it's all safe and give you a piece of paper to say it's all cool. 

Took about 3 hours cost about £165

all safe and done, don't scrimp on this would you be happy with a jubilee clip leaking gas into your kitchen I wouldn't. 

I have lived here 16y years and have always had lpg ... but this problem is just with the connector I need... not with the suply pipe ? .. all that is great thank you.. just need the type of conversion connector for the back of the cooker ... we are remote and I am not paying anyone £100 + just for call out to tell me what connector I need lol .. thank you for replying 

Ok in that case my one has the standard bayonet fitting on the wall, from this a standard flexible hose proper cooker one not the silly orange bbq stuff, this is solid fixed to the back of the cooker with a straight threaded connection. 

If  i was doing this I would take off the orange hose and chuck it, look at the entry point on the oven and measure thread diameter, it will be fairly standard, go to your local plumbers merchant and get black flexible pipe and ask for a fitting to go from that to the oven, get the correct tape/ adhesive for lpg and connect it all up, check very thoroughly for leaks with soapy water. 

• Thanks 1

There shouldn’t be an orange hose to the back of the cooker ...

All the pipe work inside the house should be copper to a final bayonet flexible hose that is standard on all gas cookers. 

Outside the property there should be a regulator that has orange flex to it and from there on its copper into the house. That’s the legal requirements.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

you need to get a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete the work and ensure he has the LPG qualification as this is an option to their gas qualifications.

you cannot change or install gas fittings without being registered and you would require a lpg cooker hose with a bayonet fitting to go with it.

i am a gas safe registered engineer myself and would not be keen on anyone working on gas especially on LPG if they are not qualified to do so.

as the quote above mentions,

you our need to be competent, this can only be achieved by having the correct qualifications and experience, if anything went wrong that's the first thing the HSE would ask to see, proof of competency! 

Edited by Dyfed
  • Like 1