Raw Timber Cladding

Onoff

The nephew, building his timber pallet shed has been offered some planked,  untreated timber to use as cladding. The timber is from long felled trees and a variety of beech, ash and I think some cherry and lime. Planks are circa 20 - 25 1mm think and not feather edged. I think it could look pretty good. Any tips for using it?

The shed frame as I say is pallets. This has a breathable membrane over it and will have vertical battens added for the cladding to attach to.

I thought that if he only treats one side with say Creocote the untreated side could swell causing the boards to swell. Best to treat both sides before it goes up?

And where to nail...at the top only?

Cheers

Just now, Ferdinand said:

Can he soak-treat them?

That would use a lot of treatment, mind.

Not a bad shout, make a dipping tank.

As you say though it would use a lot and he's on a budget. I was thinking to leave "as is" i.e. no colour and just maybe treat against future (existing?) insect attack with some "5 Star" type treatment.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Not a bad shout, make a dipping tank.

As you say though it would use a lot and he's on a budget. I was thinking to leave "as is" i.e. no colour and just maybe treat against future (existing?) insect attack with some "5 Star" type treatment.

it will swallow a *lot* of fivestar.

I treated some CLS used as part of a shed in a bath made from a square of fenceposts and roll polythene, and the amount it sucked in in was amazing. Multiple 5 litre cans can vanish very quickly, and then you have spent perhaps £80-100 on preservative.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I reckon just Creocote both sides. 

Does old engine oil mix with Creocote like it used to with Creosote?

I'm 50 and know parent's neighbours who used that old mix, religously applied annually and their sheds/fences are still standing. Mind you they've had various nasty cancers! :(

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I reckon just Creocote both sides. 

Does old engine oil mix with Creocote like it used to with Creosote?

I'm 50 and know parent's neighbours who used that old mix, religously applied annually and their sheds/fences are still standing. Mind you they've had various nasty cancers! :(

Don't know.

Checked with my Agricultural Merchant when I bought some fenceposts last w/e and he does stock creosote, so it is out there.

F

You can still buy creosote fairly easily here, too.  The restriction is on sales for domestic use, I believe, but it can still be sold for commercial use.  It depends where you go as to whether they will just sell it to you or ask for some evidence that you're a commercial user, though.  I've bought it from our local agricultural merchant without hassle - I just went in looking scruffy in overalls and wellies.  However, I went to buy some toluene recently, which I used to be able to buy without hassle, and was asked to provide written evidence that I was a commercial user.  Apparently the government are clamping down on the sale of some commercial-use only substances, or that's what the bloke behind the counter told me.  The get-out was easy, I went home, got one of my old aircraft company letterheads, went back and showed it to him and he sold me 5 litres with no hassle...............

Seems a bit of a shame to be using cherry, beech, and ash to plank the outside of a shed! Wouldn't these boards have more value to a carpenter, cabinet maker, etc?

Ash in particular is a great wood for many things but durability outdoors is not its strength.

Larch or Douglas would be much lower value and intrinsically more durable.

58 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Seems a bit of a shame to be using cherry, beech, and ash to plank the outside of a shed! Wouldn't these boards have more value to a carpenter, cabinet maker, etc?

Ash in particular is a great wood for many things but durability outdoors is not its strength.

Larch or Douglas would be much lower value and intrinsically more durable.

This is not a shed. It is an ONOFF shed, whatever that means.

@Onoff Plan half-B may be to stand the ends in a bucket of 5star for an hour to protect the end grain, as that is where rot could start, and paint or spray the boards themselves. 

Ferdinand

No, I've had some input, others have had a hand! :)

These "planks" are often the first cut off the log and as such random widths and lengths. He (we?) may try and regularize them width wise but leave the lower edge "natural", for effect.

Good to know creosote is still out there.

(I am seriously debating a pallet based garden room as I think I might have a supply).