Ground Floor build up alternative.

JamesP

I was planning to fit 150mm celotex, UFH, screed then engineered flooring on top of the 100mm concrete slab but due to rising costs and supply issues wondering about an alternative approach.

I have enclosed a drawing (by hand) which shows the build up.

2x75x47 cross laid, base timber @ 600mm centres, top timber @ 400mm centres. 2x70mm Rockwool flexi.

Then vapour barrier, is it needed? , 22mm structural flooring, 25mm underfloor heating, 18mm Knauf Brio floating board and finally 15mm engineered flooring. Looking at the list not sure if it would be any cheaper but will cost it up.

Does anyone have any costs for floor screed per sqm as a guide.

Your thoughts appreciated as always,

Wall, floor,roof buildup.Sept 2017. copy.jpg

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with this make up, it looks very much like a mix up of two types of floor suspended timber and concrete slab. 

It looks far to complicated for me. 

why not. 

compacted stone

sand blinding

dpm 

200mm eps

ufh

concrete slab

engineered timber

The concrete slab is already in. Celotex seems in short supply at the moment and the cost has risen another 20% so was considering a suspended floor instead, it also avoids the final screed cost as well.

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

How much have you to play with in total, 150mm for insulation and then 100mm for screed or can you squeeze any more. 

150mm insulation and 80mm including final timber, about 65mm screed.

The timber route might as you say end up costing more mainly due to the extra amount of labour involved. Are you able to do this yourself to save money.

How much is the kanuf brio boards, doesn't look a cheap option.

Long term the Rockwool being not as good an insulator as the celotex will cost you more in the long run. 

7 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The timber route might as you say end up costing more mainly due to the extra amount of labour involved. Are you able to do this yourself to save money.

How much is the kanuf brio boards, doesn't look a cheap option.

Long term the Rockwool being not as good an insulator as the celotex will cost you more in the long run. 

Its just me and my Dad so labour costs are not an issue. I have asked Rockwool for a U value for floor, walls and roof.

I will cost it all up, Celotex is going to cost at least 4k + the screed cost which might be another 3k.

7 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Its just me and my Dad so labour costs are not an issue. I have asked Rockwool for a U value for floor, walls and roof.

I will cost it all up, Celotex is going to cost at least 4k + the screed cost which might be another 3k.

How much insulation do you need in square metres..?? Celotex aren’t the only supplier and if you keep an eye on Seconds&co you may find a bargain. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How much insulation do you need in square metres..?? Celotex aren’t the only supplier and if you keep an eye on Seconds&co you may find a bargain. 

I need about 80 sheets. Will look again at Seconds.