Hello from a newbie

joycey

Hi all,

just introducing myself, i'm joycey and currently have plans approved for a  single storey extension approx 5m x 7m.

i have been reading up on various forums and before i ask any daft question will continue with a little more research on options available. 

The couple of builders i have spoken to have both lent towards a standard TF construction and said it would be the most economical to build. However, after visiting a home renovation show i  am leaning towards and ICF wall construction with a SIPS roof but ultimately dependent on costs.

I will continue to do some more research, but in the meantime i have one question.

my planning drawings submitted and approved for a permitted development was based on a timber frame, if i now changed this to ICF construction would i need to go back to the beginning and re apply or is this seen as a material change only? 

thanks

joycey

Welcome to the forum!

The planners aren't bothered about how you build something, only what it looks like and what it's used for.

Would the change in build type affect the outward appearance in any way?

Personally I would say that for a small project like that timber frame may well make a lot of sense, but then I'm a timber frame sort of guy. What's tempting you down the ICF+SIPs route?

Hi thanks for the reply,

the type of construction will not change the outside appearance as this is currently shown as rendered and clad and no matter what build method i use the outside finish will be the same, there is no change of use for the space. But if i did go down the ICF route the likely wall thickness would change, and i want to maintain the flush internal wall so the external dimension may increase (slightly).

whats tempting me towards ICF+SIPS route? good question. I guess its just that i want it to be different and i want to use new(ish) methods and if possible i want to be part of the build and do some myself,  also a quick construction with limited wet trades on site is a bonus,  and the sound attenuation of the ICF is appealing.

but ultimately the biggest factor will be is ICF an affordable method.

You are very welcome. It didn't take long between me approving your membership and the first post... Might even be a record.

In terms of ICF. I have a little experience of just one method, but there are several out there. The system I use is relatively cheap, but I would ask you to have a look at some of the problems I have encountered (just search for Durisol on this site) .  Those problems would be significantly reduced for a single storey build.... Here's a single storey one I made earlier. (I never got the Blue Peter badge; still rankles after more than 50 years)

59dc967536885_renderpiggery.thumb.jpg.6e4d0c1b557bc3312f21b27d6feed919.jpg

The problem I refer to is bursts occurring during the pour. Frankly on a single storey it's a non-event; shovel  it up, put in a barrow, make a bit of shuttering, fasten it, re-pour. We are building with Durisol. Have a look at the many other systems there are. The other key factor is the skill - level of those building with and for you. If you are doing this on your own, even as a complete newbie, I would guess that skill level is almost irrelevant. The push to get it right first time is intense.

Have a target U value in mind, choose the system, build. Couldn't be easier. (Yeah, right)

We look forward to your comments and questions. I don't know where you are but if you are passing J33 on the M6, you could drop in and poke around to your heart's content. We are 2 minutes away.

Ian

@joycey if you are looking at DIY then SIP roof is not your answer ..!! They need to be properly detailed and if it’s a sloping roof then you may find they are so heavy they need either a crane or at least a Telehandler to get into position. 

ICF is easily done as DIY if you take your time as @recoveringacademic says - plenty of experience on here of different systems too. 

May be worth posting a few plans so people can see what you’re building. 

Hi @joycey and welcome. 

Read the various blogs. ;)

TF with nice thick ( and graveyard silent to live in ) walls, pumped full of cellulose insulation if I ever build. :)

Concrete will not necessarily suppress or attenuate noise levels but the one TF MBC build I visited was silent, even with a primary school playground next door. 

Measure thrice, ask twice, build once ? 

Thanks for the welcome

i will try and get some plans posted but it’s really a simple extension. Nothing fancy just single storey rectangle with a 5m of bi fold door and a roof light.

there is just so many options available I will stick with some reading and research on the forum and then check back if (when) I have more questions or I am any nearer to making a decision 

thanks