Covering the timber frame for winter

Pete

We had a delay in releasing funds for our frame which meant that instead of it being erected in April it has only now just been erected. The dilemma we now face is the that the plasterer's are uncertain whether they can get the exterior completed before the bad weather arrives and the delay in the windows >:( ,end of November ,means we face the prospect of having to wait until next year to finish the exterior. The frame is watertight at the moment and I am waiting for the timber frame manufacturer to get back to me as to what I can expect from leaving it throughout the winter but has anybody got any pearls of wisdom that they think we could do to keep it watertight for possibly six months. I am thinking of fly battening the outside to ensure the wind does not get under the roofing membrane and frame breather membrane, even wrapping it in some heavy duty plastic?

The frame itself is fully insulated with airtightness membrane so I am keen not to get water/moisture into the structure.

TIA  

Is the roof tiled?

I covered ours with ordinary damp proof membrane to protect the frame for the first winter. I then spent that first winter tiling the roof, so for the first part of the winter it was just the breathable membrane on the roof.

Initially the window holes were boarded up with OSB until the windows were fitted late in the winter.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

We had a delay in releasing funds for our frame which meant that instead of it being erected in April it has only now just been erected. The dilemma we now face is the that the plasterer's are uncertain whether they can get the exterior completed before the bad weather arrives and the delay in the windows >:( ,end of November ,means we face the prospect of having to wait until next year to finish the exterior. The frame is watertight at the moment and I am waiting for the timber frame manufacturer to get back to me as to what I can expect from leaving it throughout the winter but has anybody got any pearls of wisdom that they think we could do to keep it watertight for possibly six months. I am thinking of fly battening the outside to ensure the wind does not get under the roofing membrane and frame breather membrane, even wrapping it in some heavy duty plastic?

The frame itself is fully insulated with airtightness membrane so I am keen not to get water/moisture into the structure.

TIA  

There's no reason why the exterior rendering can't be done in winter

Jist a case of making sure that there isn't minus tempritures or heavey  frost

i was also delayed from my intended April start To November 

i started the Krend in Febuwary

400 bags I had little choice as we would of had to pay for the scaffold being stood there 

10 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

[...]

just needed to be above freezing and not raining for 2-3 consecutive days.

[...]

@Bitpipe he's in Cumbria..... third week in August he may have a chance of that !! xD

You may find that wrapping works but you have to get the windows sealed properly or you will have issues - usually around the bottom edges. We had water running out of the weep vents where the water got into the cavity despite sealing things up so it is a pain. When are your windows due..?

10 hours ago, Pete said:

I have boarded up some windows and the roof is a standing seam roof so I need the render doing first as I am not having any fascias/soffit.

I'm getting on with our rendering. @nod came round and talked me through it (among many other things) : the only issue is heavy rain and frost  . 

Some folk who come to see us say that what I'm doing isn't rendering.  It's a very thin (5mm?) coat of sand and cement (4:1:1) like this

59d6055318938_renderdetail.thumb.jpg.3763408395ffa722ec231f9c607c4022.jpg

It dries quickly.  The purpose of this 'render' is simple airtightness: your job I take it is a lot more substantial.

10 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I'm getting on with our rendering. @nod came round and talked me through it (among many other things) : the only issue is heavy rain and frost  . 

Some folk who come to see us say that what I'm doing isn't rendering.  It's a very thin (5mm?) coat of sand and cement (4:1:1) like this

59d6055318938_renderdetail.thumb.jpg.3763408395ffa722ec231f9c607c4022.jpg

It dries quickly.  The purpose of this 'render' is simple airtightness: your job I take it is a lot more substantial.

5 mil 25 mil

still render 

Keep going Ian Its a cheap and effective way of sealing your blocks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

We have the same problem.

I am hoping that the roof will be slated in the next 2 weeks.

Our windows are being installed 13th Nov.

Hopefully the external rendering on our large gable end walls will be done that week.

We are having an Alumasc silicon render system & the contractor said if wet or below 5 degrees will not be able to do the top coat.

I am desperate to get this done as the excess scaffolding costs are mounting up.

The cedar cladding to our huge dormer on the front elevation can be done with a scissor lift if necessary.

The stonework is only to first floor level as ours is a dormer bungalow.

Good luck with yours.

3 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hi Pete,

Hopefully the external rendering on our large gable end walls will be done that week.

We are having an Alumasc silicon render system & the contractor said if wet or below 5 degrees will not be able to do the top coat.

I am desperate to get this done as the excess scaffolding costs are mounting up.

The cedar cladding to our huge dormer on the front elevation can be done with a scissor lift if necessary.

Good luck with yours.

My Alumasc silicon render system was done this week. It was very expensive but it looks great and I think worth the extra cost.  At this time of year rain is the enemy, they can work in cold as long as its not near freezing but they need dry certainly for the top coat.

We have a single storey house and we have only rendered north and south elevations and a small section of the eastern one. The rest will be larch clad. Meantime the non rendered elevations are still waiting for their larch and are clad only in the mbc finish, the internorm windows are in but we have water ingress. Internorm came back today to fix leaks but ended up saying us was our problem as our building is not weathertight and water is finding its  way into the house via the large unfilled gaps between mbc frame and window frame - - we had to make some openings bigger and some smaller for  windows as actual windows openings in timber frame were different in some rooms.......and please dont ask why/how this happened its just another one if the very many cock ups that we have had to sort out and yes there is a ‘professional’ on the job its not me guestimating and getting it wrong!

Our roof is single ply membrane with standing seam but we have large overhangs and it curves up at either end so enormous fascias and soffits.  MBC only provided us with a flat deck we then had to build a second roof on top to get the shape. Trusses custom made but it took weeks to get them all in place and the final watertight finish on. Place was like sieve, we waited until summer to do it but it's been so wet we would have been better off doing it in March.

Good luck

If it were me coping over the winter with an exposed frame given what we have been through in the last 3 months (and still a bit to go) I would concentrate my efforts on giving the prevailing weather side of the building max protection if you have a more sheltered side it shouldnt be too bad. I would go for dpc rather than plastic if you can, need to keep the place breathing a bit.

3 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hi Pete,

Good luck with yours.

Hi Moira just noticed you are in East Mids. We used a company from E Mids for our Alumasc. Renuntio - Adrian Gill. Are you using the same people? They were great on ours.

LIz

Hello Liz,

We are using K&M from Melton Mowbray, Jon Lawrence.

They are Alumasc trained & registered installers.

We have been to see their work on other projects & we like the fact we get a 10 guarantee.

Our site is quite exposed & our gable ends are large so we wanted something with virtually no maintenance.

It is really good to know that you are pleased with your render.

I am waiting with bated breath that our windows will be the correct sizes.

We specified Ideal Combi for all our glazing & there is a lot of it.

Our timber frame company PYC are coming back to put them in on a supply & fix contract.

I have been looking at your posts.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on.

Best Wishes

Moira

5 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hello Liz,

We are using K&M from Melton Mowbray, Jon Lawrence.

They are Alumasc trained & registered installers.

We have been to see their work on other projects & we like the fact we get a 10 guarantee.

Our site is quite exposed & our gable ends are large so we wanted something with virtually no maintenance.

It is really good to know that you are pleased with your render.

I am waiting with bated breath that our windows will be the correct sizes.

We specified Ideal Combi for all our glazing & there is a lot of it.

Our timber frame company PYC are coming back to put them in on a supply & fix contract.

I have been looking at your posts.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on.

Best Wishes

Moira

Thanks Moira, I am sure you will be pleased with the render, our exposed location and the guarantee was what swayed us.

Good luck with all yours....windows too!

Liz