Electrical fittings

nod

Is that there to isolate the metal plate from the back box?

I had to replace some metal fronted switches on older wiring with plastic ones for an electrical certificate because the metal fronts couldn't be attached to an earth wire as there wasn't one on the older wiring. The ones on newer circuits were fine.

Simon

49 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I’m Not sure about this. Here is a photo, with my thumb lifting up the plastic “washer” in question. It d doesn’t come off completely, because it is attached centrally at either side to the plate.

...removed....

EDIT:

Sorry mine were different. They were the screwless faceplates ones in the same brand. Yours are attached at the screw point which mine didn't have.

Edited by Dudda

55 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I’m Not sure about this. Here is a photo, with my thumb lifting up the plastic “washer” in question. It d doesn’t come off completely, because it is attached centrally at either side to the plate.86FE4B3F-13B4-4F37-9489-DA61C4F82A79.thumb.jpeg.dbe025e3060af7fbcb36fabbe6ec89fc.jpeg

I've got a couple of those. I wondered if it might be an 'edge light'? Seem to recall there was a cutout somewhere that might give an LED access to the light guide.

55 minutes ago, Dudda said:

...removed....

EDIT:

Sorry mine were different. They were the screwless faceplates ones in the same brand. Yours are attached at the screw point which mine didn't have.

mine are also Knightsbridge screwless. So i really don't know what is going on.

On 04/04/2022 at 08:58, Adsibob said:

Ended up going with Knightsbridge sockets for a number of rooms, and very disappointed with the finish. Turns out there is a plastic piece which the plate needs to clip onto that is visible all around the plate and doesn't match the finish of the plate at all, because instead of being the same colour as the plate is an opaque plastic, which shows all away around the edge of the plate. It looks really bad. I'm thinking I might have to apply decorator's caulk all the way around each socket to conceal this plastic, but I fear that will make it look just as bad.

@BMcN I think you also got Knightsbridge sockets. Did you have the same problem? 

Mine are not screwless. When snuggled down you can't tell its there at all. All my walls are white so I can't say if this would still be the case on coloured walls. 

20220411_185107.thumb.jpg.ef8c144303f6eb9acf06cf9df3b90a8d.jpg

5 hours ago, BMcN said:

Mine are not screwless. When snuggled down you can't tell its there at all. All my walls are white so I can't say if this would still be the case on coloured walls. 

20220411_185107.thumb.jpg.ef8c144303f6eb9acf06cf9df3b90a8d.jpg

You are lucky it didn’t show up on yours.  Must be a design flaw of the screwless type, as even where we have installed them on a white walls, the plastic buffer plate shows up and makes it look super tacky.

8 hours ago, Adsibob said:

You are lucky it didn’t show up on yours.  Must be a design flaw of the screwless type, as even where we have installed them on a white walls, the plastic buffer plate shows up and makes it look super tacky.

Did you install the drywall boxes before or after plastering? 

I put mine in before plastering to ensure there wasn't the white lip with the box sitting proud. 

19 minutes ago, BMcN said:

Did you install the drywall boxes before or after plastering? 

I put mine in before plastering to ensure there wasn't the white lip with the box sitting proud. 

Before. I'm not on site now but will post a picture to explain what I mean. There is no way around this, however one plasters. Definitely a design flaw of the crap i bought. Must be different model to yours, which look really good.

6 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Before. I'm not on site now but will post a picture to explain what I mean. There is no way around this, however one plasters. Definitely a design flaw of the crap i bought. Must be different model to yours, which look really good.

That's a shame then. Can only think it's not being pulled in tight enough by the screwless clips/magnets. 

Just been a walk round and I am happy with mine, it's almost invisible and they helped with not pulling the faceplate into the paint when tightening. 

20220412_082506.jpg

You spend all the money on fancy sockets and switches  and use fast fix boxes😩

I dislike them with flat plate accessories and the fact you rely on a little bit of plasterboard holding them In.

metal boxes on dwangs/noggins for me.

5 hours ago, TonyT said:

You spend all the money on fancy sockets and switches  and use fast fix boxes😩

I dislike them with flat plate accessories and the fact you rely on a little bit of plasterboard holding them In.

metal boxes on dwangs/noggins for me.

All our boxes were metal. Not sure how they were secured, but electrician does not cut any corners. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/04/2022 at 08:30, BMcN said:

That's a shame then. Can only think it's not being pulled in tight enough by the screwless clips/magnets. 

Just been a walk round and I am happy with mine, it's almost invisible and they helped with not pulling the faceplate into the paint when tightening. 

20220412_082506.jpg

@BMcN can you tell me which brand/range and colour of socket this is please? It’s very nice.  Thank you