Airtightness

CC45

Evening all,

Been getting on with some first fit plumbing in the four dormers.  This is complicated by the fact that below the floors is outside (well some insulation and then outside) - so pipe work needs to go through the timber frame before going downstairs.  See pic. I've got two challenges - soldering whilst not melting anything - including the airtight patch that will go over each pipe.  The pipes extend below the floor so its tricky work - I cant just solder and then slide them in. Hope my explanation is ok! My thoughts are:

1. Cut the pipes shorter so I can solder the elbows on away from the frame and then connect the drops.  Downside is an extra joint.

2. Use a pushfit elbow - I would need to widen the gap in the timber frame.  Not too hard to do but another joint and not too sure on how to seal it.

3. Prob my fav.  Cut the hole in the floor boards bigger.  Slide pipe away from frame and the airtight patch by say 2", solder, cool down the joint & slide back in.  Patch the floor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Cc

20171008_161628.jpg

26 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Shocking stuff ..!! Needs perfectly clean surfaces - and I mean perfect - and over time it still leaks ...

I’d use Hep2O and not copper in this instance - any reason for wanting it in copper..? 

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Shocking stuff ..!! Needs perfectly clean surfaces - and I mean perfect - and over time it still leaks ...

I’d use Hep2O and not copper in this instance - any reason for wanting it in copper..? 

Yes, because copper is king. ??

1 hour ago, CC45 said:

3. Prob my fav.  Cut the hole in the floor boards bigger.  Slide pipe away from frame and the airtight patch by say 2", solder, cool down the joint & slide back in.  Patch the floor.

That's the one. ;) 

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, because copper is king. ??

I’d agree but that is a pig of a joint - you could put a bend in it with a pipe bender and do the offset the same way but it wouldn’t be easy ..! 

Glue - interesting product but rather nervous of it failing - not easy to repair if it did.  Sticking to copper here because its reliable and cheaper than plastic for this job.  Will revert to plastic under the floors for ease of running.

@Nickfromwales I think the 3rd option is the best, once the grommets are through I will give it a go.  Will test it all before sealing in.

Cheers