Vacuum cleaner recommendations?

As a word of caution regarding cordless vacuum cleaners, we made the mistake of buying a Vax cordless one some time ago.  The suction is generally poor, the filters are a PITA to clean and it's generally nowhere near as good as the Dyson cordless ones we now have. 

It's a bit odd, as the very ancient Vax that started this thread, although very large, cumbersome, noisy and power hungry still works extremely well, and the new baby Vax that I bought on the recommendation of @dpmiller is also very good - massive suction, too much at times unless turned down, easy to empty and clean, compact, not too noisy and it doesn't seem to recirculate fine dust, either.

Our experience with Dyson at first wasn't great; our original Dyson was purchased on the basis of the reviews at the time and frankly was a bit of overpriced rubbish, IMHO.  By contrast, the Dyson cordless vacuums are fantastic little machines, the exact opposite of our experience with Vax machines.

This thread prompted me to look at 'my dyson' on the website........I have a lot of Dyson products LOL.  Upshot is chat with lovely Dyson people and I have ordered a replacement stick as by the time I pay £99 for the service call (including parts) on the older ones I'm half way to a new one with warranty and 40 minute run time...plus special soft tool for hard floors..........I am not plugging it in at this rented house its going straight  to the new one I will manage with that b awful shark until then.......I don't want my lovely new Dyson contaminated with rented house dust!

New Dyson also had option of Black or Gold wand ......one for the girls.......they know their market!

11 minutes ago, lizzie said:

New Dyson also had option of Black or Gold wand ......one for the girls.......they know their market!

If they're giving the girls a choice of different coloured wands they certainly do O.o

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lizzie said:

This thread prompted me to look at 'my dyson' on the website........I have a lot of Dyson products LOL.  Upshot is chat with lovely Dyson people and I have ordered a replacement stick as by the time I pay £99 for the service call (including parts) on the older ones I'm half way to a new one with warranty and 40 minute run time...plus special soft tool for hard floors..........I am not plugging it in at this rented house its going straight  to the new one I will manage with that b awful shark until then.......I don't want my lovely new Dyson contaminated with rented house dust!

Don't let new Dyson anywhere near house building dust either. Keep it in the box till the new house is spotless.

I need to look at fixing my dyson.

Edited by daiking

@daiking I fully intend to use the ‘old’ kit to clean up first at new house, currently have an industrial wet and dry one in use there too so my Dyson will enter service into a pristine space ...and keep it that way.....don’t hold back on the broomstick LOL I’m used to it?

Edited by lizzie
spell

On 2/22/2018 at 10:44, PeterW said:

@Stones I had this issue too - replace the main filter but also try these bags instead of the paper ones - the Hepa filter bag is much better. 

https://m.johnlewis.com/numatic-henry-hepa-vacuum-cleaner-bags-pack-of-10/

You may also need to clean the motor filter - a slightly fiddly job as it’s wrapped in the motor itself and you need to take the top apart to do it - turn the motor unit upside down and you will find 6 screws. Remove them all and pull the black base away from the casing and the motor will come out, wrapped in a foam filter. Mine was full of crud and after a quick clean the auction was vastly improved as was the dust output. 

Thanks for the tip, just finished cleaning and the motor filter was a bit clogged up.  New main filter (already use the HEPA bags) also so fingers crossed we see an improvement.  Still seriously considering a cordless...