MVHR Extract in Shower

Due to a "design issue" (AKA Cock Up!) I've ended up with a MHRV extract plenum in the shower area. From what I've read this is against best advise.  Assume this is due to the levels of humidity in the ducting??

Is it an absolute "no" or in reality is it not too much of an issue. 

Moving it is not an option now but I could change the bathroom design but it would be a considerable compromise. 

TIA

Some mvhr units have a max limit on humidity, I seem to recall 80% for my unit.

However, even if the humidity in the shower is 100%, it will be extracting from 4 other places a well. So the RH of what reaches the mvhr unit will be "diluted".  Unless I am miss understanding that point, it would only be an issue if both showers were in use together, someone had lots of pans boiling away in the kitchen, and the utility room was full of wet washing all at the same time.

If you take a hot shower, the volume in the room is probably approaching 90 or 100% humidity regardless of location of extract. I am guessing any issue might be related to water spraying getting sucked in. If the extract is quite high relative to shower area might be ok.

Also, is your shower cubicle sealed on all sides? This might create a flow restriction?

3 hours ago, ragg987 said:

If you take a hot shower, the volume in the room is probably approaching 90 or 100% humidity regardless of location of extract. I am guessing any issue might be related to water spraying getting sucked in. If the extract is quite high relative to shower area might be ok.

Also, is your shower cubicle sealed on all sides? This might create a flow restriction?

No it's will be in a corner. Only one glass screen, the other side open to the room. So hopefully no issues with flow. 

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

Some mvhr units have a max limit on humidity, I seem to recall 80% for my unit.

However, even if the humidity in the shower is 100%, it will be extracting from 4 other places a well. So the RH of what reaches the mvhr unit will be "diluted".  Unless I am miss understanding that point, it would only be an issue if both showers were in use together, someone had lots of pans boiling away in the kitchen, and the utility room was full of wet washing all at the same time.

That makes sense. I'll find out what the max is on my Airflow Androit. 

Edited by Barney12
Typo

The extract vents in both of our bathrooms are located over the shower enclosures.

This was intentional and something I have done with every build except one, where the extract for one shower was outwith the enclosure. That particular enclosure suffered from peeling paint on the ceiling, whereas none of the others ever did. It may not of course be connected, but I certainly attributed the problem to the fact that there wasn't an immediate extraction point over the shower.

10 minutes ago, Stones said:

The extract vents in both of our bathrooms are located over the shower enclosures.

This was intentional and something I have done with every build except one, where the extract for one shower was outwith the enclosure. That particular enclosure suffered from peeling paint on the ceiling, whereas none of the others ever did. It may not of course be connected, but I certainly attributed the problem to the fact that there wasn't an immediate extraction point over the shower.

Ive always done the same when using a standard extract vent to the outside. 

This is my first time with MHRV so I'm doing that typical self build thing by reading everything and following the rules. Which then follows with worrying about every detail :) 

Edited by Barney12