Random power question

Dee

House is finished (ha!) but I've neglected to put a power socket on the landing. 

Can I use a portable power pack to run a table lamp off? 

Don't want to start hacking away to put a new socket in.... Ta

I see no reason why not, except for the annoyance of recharging etc. Look up boat items?

What is the requirement - eg nightlight, low-luminance light to leave on etc?

But you are about to get 27 alternative suggestions.

Here are my three 

1 - Replace ceiling light with one with two directable spots.

2 - Use a low voltage one plugged in in an adjacent room, and run the small cable under a rug or carpet.

3 - Put a person detecting bulb in the ceiling light, so that it switches when someone walks in.

@ProDave.... Actual Led lamps are stupid expensive and ugly..... Want a regular lamp that I can plug into a portable power pack but don't know what I'm looking for 

@Ferdinand  don't want ceiling light, too harsh, can't run cable as crosses too many doorways, can't put a socket off another one, don't want a nightlight/sensor

@Tempdont want to smash hole in wall now it's all looking tickety boo!

I there anything, the other side of the wall, a cupboard for instance?

I can't imagine what sort of portable power pack you are expecting?

There is this sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-RPP265-Professional-Power-Pack-300W-Inverter-230V-AC-Mains-LED-Work-Light-/282672441252?epid=1036522425&hash=item41d09727a4:g:zWsAAOSwZM9ZzLh3

Mainly sold for jump starting cars but some like this have a small 230V inverter built in so can be used as a portable mains supply. Perhaps if the lamp sits on a table with a tablecloth to hide this underneath?

My life would be a lot easier if someone invented "wireless electricity"

@ProDave

You're right, I don't what I'm looking for but I'm sure it exists! 

I found this below.... Would that work? 

How much power does a table lamp draw? 

Enables you to operate your 230v UK standard appliances outdoors using a 12v car battery or portable 12v power source.

• Converts 12 Volt Dc 230 Volt AC
  • Ideal for All 12v Cars, 4X4’s SUV’s & Motor Cycles
  • Also Suitable for Caravans, Camping & Boats
  • Operates 230v mains appliances from 12v battery power (laptops, stereos, TV’s DVD’s , Phones etc.)
  • Use for emergency power due to storms and blackouts
  • Single 230v-50Hz 3-prong UK socket
  • 300 Watt Peak Power
  • 150 Watt Continuous Power
  • Not Suitable for 24v batteries

Assuming you have say a low energy 11W lamp, by the time that is converted to 12V that will draw over 1 amp from the battery, so a typical operating time of 50 hours from a fully charged car battery.

Thinking outside the box now, take a trip to a caravan shop and look for a 12V caravan table light, or simply change the lamp holder and convert any lamp you like to 12V and cut out the inefficiency of the inverter.