11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Peter, I've access to various large fibre washers if you need another. Just tell me the dia and I'll see what I can get.

Thanks Clive. I'll have a look and if I don't have the right size I'll get back to you.

As a change from hanging the wet room door, oak doors are heavy! I took the anode out of the Genvex and the seal on the anode thread is a sort of hard rubber band. Maybe it just wasn't done up tight enough, although how it could have been pressure tested to 12 bar I don't know. I shone a torch inside the tank and another thing that surprised me was the immersion must be inside a tube so it's a dry immersion. Never seen that before.

R1010001.thumb.JPG.f244a7859264a1cabb8d88b4589dd20d.JPG

R1010002.thumb.JPG.6c1cca9dd65fcab11946114333e0a020.JPG

As an update I have refitted the anode and I have tightened it significantly more than it was before. I have removed the 1kW 'immersion' and it is in fact a dry well or pipe heater so no need to drain the tank if replacing it. @Moira Niedzwiecka when I fill it and get it going, some time next week I expect, I will get back with how effective it is. As an aside Total Home Environment have an ex test Genvex Combi 185 S for sale at £5040.

@Moira Niedzwiecka I bought mine from Sundthus in Denmark who were very helpful when purchasing the Genvex but the clause in their Terms & Conditions which says that the item has to be returned to them for repair, means in effect that there isn't any warranty for a large item like the Combi 185. The saving I made compared to buying it from Total Home Environment hopefully will cover any repairs required in the first two years. Sundthus sell the anodes which have to be replaced every few years but they don't list the electric water heater. Total Home don't list any parts but they might well sell them if asked. I'll report back on any issues I have running it.

Edited by PeterStarck

I get the very strong feeling, based on the high shipping costs from Total Home, (more than the shipping cost from Sundthus in Denmark), that a faulty unit may well end up being shipped back to Denmark for repair even if bought from them.   Looking at the shipping cost difference, my best guess is that if buying from Total Home you end up paying both the shipping from Denmark to their depot, plus the shipping from there to your home, as that just about adds up to the right figure.

We had a similar experience when our first boiling water tap had a manufacturing defect (an internal hole was drilled in the wrong place).  We had bought the unit from a UK supplier, but ended up having to deal with the manufacturer in the Netherlands when there was a problem under warranty.  In that case they initially wanted the defective unit shipped back to the Netherlands for inspection/repair, but I managed to convince them of the cause of the defect with some close up photos, that clearly showed the hole drilled in the wrong place (not easy to take photos deep inside a tap!).  They were pretty good and shipped me a replacement tap from the Netherlands directly, and didn't want the old one back.

On 12/14/2017 at 17:18, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hello Peter,

The Genvex unit you have is the one I have been looking at.

In spite of the leak problem how are you finding it?

Does it give sufficient hot water & is the heat pump effective?

What is the sqm of your house?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

As an update, the Genvex has been running for two days. We found it a plug and play device to get it running in a basic state. The Optima 312 controls everything and is straightforward to set up. We set the water temperature to 40C and turned off the 'immersion heater' and it took the EASHP just under eight hours to heat the 185l tank. When the water was up to temperature it started pumping out warm air. We're still working in the house so the room temperature is turned down. It is fractionally more noisy than the fridge/freezer when the EASHP is running and quiet when it's not running. Just following the instructions gets it running but it is over ventilating in our house and I may play with turning the extract motor down a bit to see the effect. I will set it up properly in the New Year. Our house has 127m2 internal area excluding lofts and porch and has large areas with vaulted ceilings.

• Like 1