cheapest way to add depth to floor

Alexphd1

We have got a little problem with floor levels, looking for solutions. I know there is similar threads already started but i do not wan to jump on anybody's toes!

We have a raft foundation with our UFH in it. We have up to 37mm to build up from the slab to finished floor level for sliding doors. We are planning 10mm tiles and are allowing 5mm for adhesive so we need to build up another 22mm+- a few mm. Our slab is pretty spot on for levels. 

Option 1. Dig out the concrete by 20mm and sit the sliding doors into this.

Option 2. 20mm+-  screed level compund (big area) 

Option 3. buy a deeper tile (limit choice in 30mm thick tiles could be a problem)

Any other options welcome

Edited by Alexphd1

Not an option but opinion :) - I'd probably chip out the concrete 20mm - shouldn't be too tricky - slice with a Stihl or grinder with diamond blade (have someone vacuum as you go and possibly spray water on) and then use an SDS on hammer with a wide chisel tip to chip it all out. Presumably your frame will be around 100mm depth? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

We have got a little problem with floor levels, looking for solutions. I know there is similar threads already started but i do not wan to jump on anybody's toes!

We have a raft foundation with our UFH in it. We have up to 37mm to build up from the slab to finished floor level for sliding doors. We are planning 10mm tiles and are allowing 5mm for adhesive so we need to build up another 22mm+- a few mm. Our slab is pretty spot on for levels. 

Option 1. Dig out the concrete by 20mm and sit the sliding doors into this.

Option 2. 20mm+-  screed level compund (big area) 

Option 3. buy a deeper tile (limit choice in 30mm thick tiles could be a problem)

Any other options welcome

Not sure how big the area is

But if you want to raise the whole floor by 20 mil

You could bed a hardback boards on flexible adhesive to the required level

Then tile as normal 

Personally I'd lower the doors as it's probably the cheapest and easiest and I like to have higher ceilings even if it's only an extra 20mm you're gaining. 

Just checking your floor to ceiling height. If you're building to minimum regulations which a lot of the mass built housing estates are then raising the floor by 20+mm might mean you don't comply with minimum ceiling height and building regulations. Probably unlikely anyone will pick up on it but it can happen.

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

Not an option but opinion :) - I'd probably chip out the concrete 20mm - shouldn't be too tricky - slice with a Stihl or grinder with diamond blade (have someone vacuum as you go and possibly spray water on) and then use an SDS on hammer with a wide chisel tip to chip it all out. Presumably your frame will be around 100mm depth? 

+1

1 hour ago, nod said:

Not sure how big the area is

But if you want to raise the whole floor by 20 mil

You could bed a hardback boards on flexible adhesive to the required level

Then tile as normal 

A very quick way to raise it without getting grey hairs. Just make sure it's 100% fully bedded in tile adhesive to get the heat through.  

Petrol cut off saw to reduce the concrete level.  Get proper ear defenders, gloves and goggles and get yourself into a comfortable position to work.  Attach a hose to eliminate dust.  Mark and cut slots 40mm apart and a bit deeper than you need to go. Chisel out between slots with an SDS as per @jamiehamy.   Pack / fill under windows with grout if needed.  See how you get on after an hour.  I think less than half day work.