Ikea bathroom furniture

Alike some self builders I'm running low on £s, we are at the stage of picking bathrooms and it's proving costly. Has anyone ever bought a Ikea vanity unit with basin and what has been your experience, at £220 its seems good value compared to a Roca vanity unit at £450 but wondering...do you get what you pay for? Or should we opt for a good quality semi pedestal which is cheaper than Roca Vanity unit? Or go for an Ikea unit, looks good in my view. Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated. 

Can't comment on IKEA units but we fitted our three bathrooms with units from BluewaterKBB in Solihull and have been very impressed with the quality for the price. They also sell via ebay as bathcabz.

• Thanks 1

Ikea stuff has a long warranty and they will honour it. We looked at the vanity unit for a downstairs WC and I was impressed - quality of the porcelain seems good too. 

If you shop around there are some decent bargains to be had. 

We have had one nearly like this for a couple of years, with a frosted glass alu framed door, and the experience has been great with a couple of small caveats. There are (or were) various depths front-to-back.

It is very white and it does need a quick wipeover every day. But we all do that in showers every time we use them (don't we? :ph34r:) and that is fine. The obtangular bowl with square corners is a very useful shape for eg soaking things.

Also, if you choose one with integrated places and shelves for the soap, to put bottles of unguents etc, then those are a pain to keep clean. We have taken to putting a white tupperware type container that arrived with Chinese takeaway egg-fried-rice on each shelf, and replacing periodically. It works.

On the other hand the Ikea stainless clip-on-the-edge soap dishes and containers are excellent.

So excellent quality and value but get a streamlined one, protect your cubbyholes, and use the clip on thingumajigs.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Go to bathshack at dargan cresent in the duncrue industrial estate in Belfast and look at the quality of their stuff and compare it to what IKEA have. They are priced pretty similar but IKEA is miles better quality wise. 

Plus you can get some tasty meatballs and sauce when you go to lift it.

44 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

What do you want to know? We have a Godmorgan going in at the moment - seems a nice quality bit of kit so far. As mentioned its a fair bit cheaper, in fact the cabinet saving more than paid for the extra tap needed. 

Any specific concerns? 

01c4a7bbbe4c9f4addba04a31d5f7f4927b00fcf55.jpg

01a1eedad3e3114f3c279a19ba7066ff6e503f5578.jpg

When I first looked at this I thought it was a bath panel with a plumbing/ pipe image burned onto it...

Wasn't going to comment that it looked awful but I'm kind like that...???

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

When I first looked at this I thought it was a bath panel with a plumbing/ pipe image burned onto it...

11 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Go to bathshack at dargan cresent in the duncrue industrial estate in Belfast and look at the quality of their stuff and compare it to what IKEA have. They are priced pretty similar but IKEA is miles better quality wise. 

Plus you can get some tasty meatballs and sauce when you go to lift it.

Meatballs...and a cinnamon..that's the deal done! Will take a look at bathcabz. Cheers for tip 

10 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Nice bathroom, that's how I'd like ours to look. I was concerned that lkea items may be a waste of money in long term. I'm impressed with Ikea bathroom items but wanted to hear what others thought.

• Thanks 1