Rain chain downpipe

Frogeye

Hi,

I've just stopped partway through putting guttering on the newly fitted porch having remembered once seeing someone with a 'rain chain' on a house (where it added a bit of architectural appeal). Something like this:

1450808436-huf-haus-art-9-2-preview-700x357.jpg.8d09121e9f05c37737a71cde11a82a54.jpg

Whilst my house is nothing like that above, I didn't want to fix a downpipe off my nice oak pillars, but I'm not that happy with how returning the gutter back to the house wall and then into a downpipe looks either (hence downing tools and carry out a bit of surfing).

There seem to be an array of novelty chains for this purpose - however I'm picturing a plain 6 or 8mm thick stainless or black chain coming down from the front corner, but am wondering how this would terminate in to soil pipe. Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm can't think that there will ever be a lot of water in any case.

Current setup...

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.e68fefa56c0365ab951296ecd243868d.JPG

I have considered these for my leanto, but am going for a long overhang instead.

I think that gutters to match your windows or copper or aluminium (and I would start with metal gutter only across the front and something subtle down the sides to guide the water such as a simple bead on the roof as a verge) plus appropriate chains would be excellent.

I would be tempted by a chain with something tube-ish shaped as a decoration around the chain to keep splash off the oak. It would look superb if it met the need.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have seen them a few places and they do look pretty cool, especially when they start to freeze,

they usually terminate into some kind of gravel which I assume has the soil pipe below, the gravel is usually quite a bit bigger in diameter than the chain/pipe arrangement to accommodate  the splash 

The cheapest option would probably to bury a bucket to act as a hopper and fill it with stone, then add some decorative stone as a top layer and possibly surround it with some kind of cappings, or possibly just bigger stones depending on the look.

as for meeting regs, its only a tiny roof, i would assume as long as the water gets to the drain somehow they shouldn't care but worst comes to worst just swap it out for a downpipe until you get signed off :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Frogeye said:

Hi,

I've just stopped partway through putting guttering on the newly fitted porch having remembered once seeing someone with a 'rain chain' on a house (where it added a bit of architectural appeal). Something like this:

1450808436-huf-haus-art-9-2-preview-700x357.jpg.8d09121e9f05c37737a71cde11a82a54.jpg

Whilst my house is nothing like that above, I didn't want to fix a downpipe off my nice oak pillars, but I'm not that happy with how returning the gutter back to the house wall and then into a downpipe looks either (hence downing tools and carry out a bit of surfing).

There seem to be an array of novelty chains for this purpose - however I'm picturing a plain 6 or 8mm thick stainless or black chain coming down from the front corner, but am wondering how this would terminate in to soil pipe. Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm can't think that there will ever be a lot of water in any case.

Current setup...

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.e68fefa56c0365ab951296ecd243868d.JPG

I've the same dilemma 

But with an apex oak porch 

The architect shows a gutter and downspout on one side Nothing on the other side

Like you the guttering will spoil the effect 

I'm going to let the rain run off

and make sure the ground is well drained 

10 hours ago, Frogeye said:

I've just stopped partway through putting guttering on the newly fitted porch having remembered once seeing someone with a 'rain chain' on a house (where it added a bit of architectural appeal). There seem to be an array of novelty chains for this purpose - however I'm picturing a plain 6 or 8mm thick stainless or black chain coming down from the front corner, but am wondering how this would terminate in to soil pipe. Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm can't think that there will ever be a lot of water in any case.

A friend who build her own house used chains which were held in place with rocks over the soil pipe. They work just fine as long as it's not windy.

11 hours ago, Triple07 said:

My sister in law has on her new house, she's really pleased with them 

I like those playful columns - a bit like Coventry Cathedral.

Are the ones on your SiL's house necessary at all, or are they structural, or marginal?

I think I would enjoy leaving them unclad or ideally missing, and make the drain-chain into a faux column / water feature using a thin or thick rod of metal such as stainless steel or aluminium-bronze. If restrained but not anchored at the bottom, the "column" would move when people leaned on it.

coventry-cathedral-pilla.jpg.242a4f59312600770113a183b96f059a.jpg

coventry-cathedral-pillar-2.jpg.27f39d0e3edc5551357eab9f19752bd9.jpg

Credit.

Edited by Ferdinand

They can have a large splash area particularly when it's windy and it's usually windy in a storm when it's raining...stating the obivous. The advantage of Triple07's sisters house is the metal shoe so it won't be sitting in water. Also the chain is further away as the beam is further back from the fascia line. I'm not worrying about the beam rotting it's staining which will become unsightly beside the front door. In your case Frogeye I'd expect some staining over time on your oak beam as it's not as recessed from the fascia edge. 

Thanks everyone for the range of inputs. 

I'm going to have a try with a length of stainless chain which I'm thinking of attaching to some kind of grill topped gulley, which I can then disguise with suitable pebbles.

s-l225.jpg.8fe2ea2673593f9a36f9188b4ae53f4e.jpg 

I'm considering doing away with any sort of hopper/gulley on the guttering and just putting a blanking plate over then end then drilling a suitable size hole in the gutter just large enough to poke the top link of chain through.

I'll post some photos of my next attempt in a week or so!

Edited by Frogeye