Starting to think about MVHR

4 hours ago, jack said:

Same with us, even down to the same MBC construction. In our house, the upstairs rooms are noticeably cooler in winter, despite us having a very wide and open area above the stairs and a double-height slot along the length of our kitchen/diner. I assume that the low temp UFH downstairs is perhaps not sufficient to get any real convection currents going, so not enough warm air moves upstairs to overcome the cooling effect of the slightly cooler air coming in through the MVHR.

Another one here.

We have wet towel rads in the 3 upstairs bathrooms and together with the electric UFH mats under the tiles, they keep the bedrooms at a comfortable temperature.

I used cheap mats from eBay (there's a thread somewhere). Our UFH came on today for the first time since Feb and that was because the front door was open while the electrician was doing some work.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Well it seems the wood burning season has truly begun! Went outside last night, and could indeed smell it everywhere on the property, so until they come out with some kind of filtration, this will be a no go, which is such a shame!

Perhaps it was just bonfire night.

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Could have been, but pretty sure it was the wood burner, I know the smell, its very different to a bonfire smell, I think its the peat blocks which are burnt. What do people do on bonfire night with MVHR, all switched off?

Noticed a bit of a smokey tang in the bedroom last night but no worse than if we'd had a window open, soon disapated.

If I see that someone's having a bonfire then I just turn the system off for an hour or so.