Best source for back boxes & cable

PeterW

Starting first fix next week and just looking at finalising the cable etc. 

I've found a decent cable supplier who does Doncaster Cables at a good price but where is the best place to get back boxes ..?

Where possible the plan is to fit them to noggins so I don't think I need many dry line ones. Are Appleby worth the extra ..?

I'm assuming Tower are still the best clips on the market ..??

Guest Alphonsox

Check the Electricfix/Screwfix prices - Currently showing 2-gang Appleby 25mm steel back boxes @ 35p in bulk,  35mm@46p. That's cheaper than the LAP units.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

Check the Electricfix/Screwfix prices - Currently showing 2-gang Appleby 25mm steel back boxes @ 35p in bulk,  35mm@46p. That's cheaper than the LAP units.

Thanks - couldn't see the double boxes that's all..!

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

Thanks - couldn't see the double boxes that's all..!

28 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

There is a discount, around 20% I believe + free coffee and occasionally shorter queues.

I  am working on a Screwfix Trade Account, which give discounts of up to 35% (they said) but it is not clear what selection of products attract a discount. 

They were saying that if a qualified electrician or Gas Safe engineer opens one on my behalf during a project I can continue to use it afterwards.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Guest Alphonsox
4 hours ago, Dudda said:

As I only have a Screwfix account is there much of a saving in the Electricfix or Plumbfix sub sites which are only open to qualified trades?

I varies depending on product, moon phase and other unknowns.

In the case of the Appleby back boxes the Screwfix bulk price is 46p, the Electric fix price for the same item is 35p  so around 24% saving.

I used MK for all sockets and switches and bought them from Electrofix in one of their monthly specials. The local trade wholesalers couldn't come close. (And in fact told me that the price I was buying at was below their cost price).

17 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

I varies depending on product, moon phase and other unknowns.

In the case of the Appleby back boxes the Screwfix bulk price is 46p, the Electric fix price for the same item is 35p  so around 24% saving.

I used MK for all sockets and switches and bought them from Electrofix in one of their monthly specials. The local trade wholesalers couldn't come close. (And in fact told me that the price I was buying at was below their cost price).

Bound to be less random than B&Q.

I can predict the phases of the moon. Listen for the Husky down the road howling the the night before B|.

Edited by Ferdinand

A “wet plumber” trade requires no trade associations. My Mrs knows the manager at our local store saying she would set us up as plumbfix as we were self Building.  Just go in and ask for a plumbfix account and don’t make much of it. 

For me the seperate section meaning lack of lack of queues is worth it alone, Good biscuit selection too!

Or see if they’ll let you sign up as a “Dry Plumber”

Guest Alphonsox

They approached me and asked if I was trade and whether I want to get a discount. As they didn't specify which trade I showed them my IEEE (the American electronics and computing society) membership card and they smiled back . They seemed to be pretty keen to sign up anyone who could spell "electrician". I think the shop managers may be on some incentive to do so.

A qualified sparks friend went in there with his "carry the bags" / labourer. Once he'd signed up after showing his C&Gs the girl turned to his mate and said "Do you want to sign up too?". Gave his details and didn't even have to show any qualifications.

I've been at the regular counter before when an ordinary bloke has been buying lots of electrical stuff, more than once the counter person has suggested they have an Electricfix card.

Cash is King! :)

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

TBH, it's jumping the main queue and getting free coffee that wins it for me.......................

I only like plain doughnuts but our one will have those pink iced ones with sprinkles on. :(

12 hours ago, Grosey said:

A “wet plumber” trade requires no trade associations. My Mrs knows the manager at our local store saying she would set us up as plumbfix as we were self Building.  Just go in and ask for a plumbfix account and don’t make much of it. 

For me the seperate section meaning lack of lack of queues is worth it alone, Good biscuit selection too!

Or see if they’ll let you sign up as a “Dry Plumber”

As it happens I have to buy fire alarms today.

Might try a different branch :-).