MVHR visible ducting

Yet another rum one from me. Our living room is upstairs and the roof is self supporting without trussess or beams. To fit MVHR we'd need some sort of cavity or boxing for the ducting unless someone knows of ducting that doesn't look pug ugly. I was looking at copper with would be nice but I'm not sure what effect that would have on the heat?

The terminals don't have to be in the ceiling, unless they are extract ducts.  Fresh air feed terminals can be in the walls.  We have this arrangement in our bedrooms, because we have vaulted ceilings with the battens in the service void running the wrong way to be able to feed slim ducts into and it works OK.

Just beat me to it @JSHarris - and I think it was you who placed some of your outlets/terminals at 1.5m height? Interesting to hear you had slim ducting - rectangular, rather than the 75mm radial stuff? 25mm battening?

In my case we will have a built in wardrobe in our vaulted ceiling bedroom, so plan to build one of the ducts with terminal coming out of the wardrobe, so no ducting visible externally.

Our battens were 45 x 45, so not a big enough gap for the rectangular duct.  We have one bit of rectangular rigid duct hidden inside a walk in wardrobe, but the main bedroom feed ducts run up inside the eaves apace and come out about 1.2m up on the small walls that separate the eaves storage from the bedrooms.  Instead of using the omnidirectional "mushroom" terminals at these locations I used directional terminals so I could point the airflow upwards, along the ceiling.  These can be rotated to direct the flow where you wish, and came from here:  http://cart.vacuumsdirect.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=489&parent=66

We also have vaulted ceilings upstairs and had room inlets at around 500mm above the floor. We used 204mm x 60mm ducting for that short length. The extracts in the bathrooms were through an extra wide internal wall between the ensuite and bathroom where we used 125mm round ducting.P3110025.thumb.JPG.76109dae1d8163cf3c2874f1f7c0199a.JPGP8030035.thumb.JPG.f3b23d83e966a2177433748cc10fee4a.JPGP8030041.thumb.JPG.95cbb80653e2558c8e0b6626e406a517.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I priced Eclisse but went with a cheaper alternative that was about half the price from Haefler. 

Can't say I have any issues in performance but you do seem to get a more substantial frame from Eclisse.

Challenge I had was that as MBC had used CLS timber throughout and we'd gone for metric door frame sizes, the standard Eclisse range did not fit (was too narrow).

Also check that your chosen door comes in the appropriate width - my system was limited to 40mm (you could go wider with additional spacers etc).

We used Eclisse ironmongry for the doors though, really nice and solid kit. Got those from www.mb-locks.co.uk along with a lot of Karcher handles, hinges, latches etc. Cheapest I could find online at that time.

Ubbink: http://www.ubbink.co.uk/products/ventilation-ductwork/air-distribution/Semi-rigid-ductwork/Semi-rigid-ductwork-(1).aspx.

It wasn't cheap, and I found the d-shaped cross sectional ducts a little hard to manoeuvre in some places (someone else on here who used it said they didn't have any problems). All the fittings were good quality though.