Stones

Lacquer over the top, they say, but the gaps between them will be dirt traps, and the edges of the coins mean the lacquer will wear through quickly.

I've seen kitchen worktops done like this where they encase the lot in a layer of resin. Expensive for a space this size, and then you're likely to have a load of bubbles trapped in the final layer, plus it'll be slippery.

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I was thinking of doing it with 20mm galvanised knockouts... :)

Apparently the pourable resin gets very hot. On Brojects they were actually worried whether the wooden bar top former would catch fire!

When I wanted to add some ballast in my old boat, a friend knew someone that worked at a perforated metal manufacturer.  I went down there and they gave me some very heavy sacks of stainless steel punch outs that were waste.  I cast them up in resin to make ballast weights, worked a treat, as I cast them in place in the bilges, with some polythene sheet to stop the resin sticking to the hull.  The result was custom shaped ballast that fitted each space perfectly.

I only wanted small ones, but IIRC they had a wide range of different sizes.

Edited by JSHarris

My ex governor worked for Redpath Brown & Co Ltd as an apprentice. They did things like the rail bridge across the Thames at Charing Cross. One day Jimmy was asked to go and get a "bucket of holes" from so and so, Thinking it a wind up he ignored the guy and was promptly docked wages for being lippy. Turns out "holes" was the term used for the waste punchings from rivet holes. If they were in the wrong place they would weld a punching back in. I still use the same technique today and have a selection of hole and slot punchings.