Another one tries to build a hidden house

ProDave

http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/long-itchington-couple-ordered-to-demolish-home-disguised-as-garage-1-8156294

What I don't understand is why they tried to disguise the new house as a garage?  They bought a "crumbling house only fit for demolition" so why did they just not get permission to demolish and rebuild, which would most likely have been granted.

People do get away with a lot, though. 

My mother's old farmhouse, a couple of miles away from where she is now, had two extensions added and a big garage, connected to the house by a wall and covered car port.  All of this work was done without either planning permission or building regs approval, by the previous owner.  I practical terms, the ground floor area of the house had more than doubled.

Her solicitor didn't uncover any of this shenanigans when she bough the farm, it only came to light when a group from the Rambler Association walked up the track to the house and demanded to walk along the footpath that ran right through where the garage now stood...............

I've no doubt at all that the farmer that owned the place before had deliberately flouted the planning laws and building regs; he was that type of bloke.  As it turned out it was only the footpath being blocked that caused a problem that required a retrospective planning application and the construction of a new path, some fencing and a couple of stiles, as it was easy to prove that the extensions, garage etc had all been built at least a decade earlier.