Design for Racks for Spray Painting Skirtings

Ferdinand

Following on from the other thread about paint sprayers, I now have one, and the next thing I need is to build some dismountable racks for supporting skirting boards for finishing / painting.

I need enough to spray do about 32 4m lengths of skirting in one session, and I need to be able to store them in a small space for next time.

My current thinking is for a pair of 2.4m CLS (bought too much CLS) A-frames, joined by a pair of horizontals each side which can be removed for storage. The skirtings to be supported by 2" screws driven 15mm in on the faces of the A-frames at 225mm intervals. That would give me space for 8x 4m or 5m lengths each side for spraying with a finish or paint.

i was trying to do a diagram,  but it was looking comical so I may just build one and take a photo.

I wonder if anyone has any tested designs they could post? 

Thanks for any help.

Ferdinand

Sounds perfect. But maybe your over thinking. 

Why do you need to spray it all at once. 32 lengths is a lot, I normally only have enough room to do dozen pieces at once, if using acrylic paint I find by the time I've got a coat on, the first ones are nearly dry enough to put on a second coat or move them and start another load. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sounds perfect. But maybe your over thinking. 

Why do you need to spray it all at once. 32 lengths is a lot, I normally only have enough room to do dozen pieces at once, if using acrylic paint I find by the time I've got a coat on, the first ones are nearly dry enough to put on a second coat or move them and start another load. 

@Russell griffiths Thanks for the reply.

It is an airless spray setup, so prep and washup time is significant - while spray time for that will be short.

And since it is a whole bungalow, it seemed to make sense. I will need them again when I renovate the next one.

Ferdinand

Bear in mind that there's nothing other than paint to blow dust with an airless gun.  If the pressure is set right for the paint and tip size, then there is very little dust.  What dust does get created seems to be from bounce-back, where the gun is too close to the surface, or the pressure is set too high.  Some bounce back is inevitable, especially in corners, but you can paint right down to floor level without blowing up dust off the floor, because there's no air blowing around.

When I painted the workshop walls, I just ran a soft broom around the concrete at the base of the walls (the concrete is going to be painted, anyway) and so the floor was still a bit dusty.  It wasn't a problem at all, and other than me getting a bit of over-spray on the concrete no dust from the floor got blown anywhere.

Edited by JSHarris

@Ferdinand One of my friends used your A frame approach with great success.

One issue he hadn't thought about was the subsequent fixing of skirting and facing boards. Having nailed them on, and filled the holes, he ended up doing a final coat of paint by hand as he couldn't touch up the filled heads to the glass like finish he had achieved by spraying them.

• Like 1

I bonded all our skirting and architrave on, so no fixing holes to cover up.  The skirting was all bonded on using the cheap Screwfix water-based grip adhesive.  This was much better than the solvent stuff, no smell and it's a lot slower to skin over, so it reduces the haste with which you need to stick things on.  None of the skirting or architrave anywhere has showed any signs of movement.  I did leave the lower 100mm of every wall free from paint though (I had the walls painted before fitting the skirting and architrave).

• 2 months later...

Reporting back, today I took a few pics of the A-Frames we ended up with. The verticals are about 2.1m high (ie lower than roof of shed for storage), and the horizontals are 2.4m. Once both sides have screws on it will hold about two dozen lengths of skirting. The extra vertical is for shorter lengths.

It folds flat (2.1m x 2.4m x ~100mm !) to take to the shed, and *could* be dismantled. 

The important points were the brace for which we just screwed an angled timber, and that the horizontals are on the inside leg of the A so it folds OK.

Ferdinand

IMG_0358-small.thumb.jpg.3cdf4de643827fdb29d05952c241348e.jpg

IMG_0359-small.thumb.jpg.f9940267aa9be7784da852117675306e.jpg

IMG_0360-small.thumb.jpg.cb10f51e5f19db78a045c48f1f4baa68.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand