The 6k kitchen

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Looking good. :)

Having the upstand does give some forgiveness but you still have balls of steel my man!

Like the mash-up with the lights, and I may well steal the oak decor end idea too, of course pretending that it was my idea :ph34r:

The lights are an invention born of necessity. This being an ikea kitchen and the granite having been from something else means it's about 40mm shy of the wall. Hence the build of a light bar with 30mm rod and the upstand... The oak detail covers a multitude of sins. If the cuts had gone badly I would have put it round those edges and just chiselled the oak to fit the granite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'd have been cacking myself cutting that!

So do you drill  (core?) holes in the corners & cut to them? Thinking sharp internal corners and stress points etc.

Its pretty easy to cut, horribly messy but easy. I taped it up with masking tape, then wetted it with a plant skoosher and ran a cut along with the grinder by hand, then filled the cut with water and went progressively deeper. Naturally at the corners you cannot join the cuts all the way down. So I made sure they were connected at the top and as deep as possible we'll supported the bits I wanted to keep then gently knocked the remainder out. Quick wazz round with the grinder to tidy up after.

• Like 1

The hardest issue is moving it as it had the sink and hob cut outs in it. We basically ratchet strapped it to some big timber as a frame and moved it with a couple of blokes in my 70's vee dub camper..

in terms of bricking it, new it cost 3-4K secondhand I gave £300 for it. Had a practice on some spare upstand and just went for it. He who dares rodders! He who dares!

• Like 1

Today's progress not massive but getting closer. We are on the hunt for a set of graded appliances so we can have the full champagne for lemonade experience. Looking for a neff steam oven, pyro oven, induction hob and either a microwave or a coffee machine subject to budget! 

Anyway on with the photos. The breakfast bar is made. Just need to fab up an angle iron frame in 3mm box to get the levels spot on. 

IMG_0729.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Closer still, we have light in the light box and the breakfast bar is looking the part with a couple of coats of Osmo. 

Sink fitting proving challenging. None of my drill bits touch the granite. Good job we’ve got some offcuts to practice on with the new diamond core drills. I’m going to be really hacked off if this breaks the worktop! 

A2DC853A-B7C7-43EB-8C89-3437FD5C6C3A.jpeg

5AE62E75-E064-4BAD-B38E-EA60BEA9D980.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 17:18, PeterW said:

Ta - is Osmo classed as a hardwax oil ..?? I’ve got some worktop that said it’s treated with a hardwax oil but no idea what that is ..!!

Stairbox recommends Treatex

Edited by richi

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a commuter pad in Weston, a 2 bed coach house, and intend on ripping out the old kitchen and taking down a stud wall to create an open plan living/kitchen area. Things will be on a bit of a budget, so interested in the Ikea kitchen. Which units are they? Did you use the online designer and any tips? I've just started playing around with it. Any chance you could share you're design if you got a pdf or something of it?

Edited by pudding

Evening pudding. The units are Metods, the doors are kallarps. In general they are all off the peg. I’ve sectioned one in a corner to get a perfect fit. The large run of the units doesn’t have a corner post. Instead the surplus in the run (circa 60mm) is sectioned with some oak trim (this is 12mm skirting slipped in place between the units) 

in terms of style I wanted symmetry on the back wall, and I wanted drawers around the entire base to give a continuous feeling. 

Have a play with the designer and post up here. Lots of opinion freely given! 

• 1 year later...