The 6k kitchen

Fair question, it's to do with the open plan kitchen diner living space. In essence you can cook whilst talking to people / guests. You then plate up and chuck the pots in the dishwasher. All good. You then finish the meal and want to clear again but the dishwasher is full..  if not then in an open plan space you end up looking at the detritus you would have abandoned in a separate kitchen. 

In most cases we won't use them both but when we need them they are there and they won't wear out any quicker! 

51 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why 2 dishwashers? I once heard it discussed to save emptying, you just leave it in the first one, remove each item as you need them the put into the second?

I've tried to persuade SWMBO on this. Two dishwashers, no cupboards. Take out what you want, use, put in the other. When full, swap over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Seems to be coming together well. Currently at about £3300.

Ikea units with an oak trim strip made from some oak skirting :-) 

Picking up the granite tomorrow AM hopefully we will be looking and hopefully pretty bespoke. 

That'll be £300 and £90 for the acrylic. 

IMG_0668.JPG

LIke the look.

Is that an Ikea light? I might like to get one :)

Edited by Ferdinand

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is that the Ikea short legs on the units ..? And how have you done the oak..? Got a close up pic as that's very neat..!

Just the ikea regular legs on. The units were dry built and the gap measured. Then some spacers inserted to even up the gap. The oak trim is square edge 70mm * 12mm skirting board slid in to have about a 20mm left poking out then simply screwed between the units like you would normally to attach the run together. 

I dont like clumsy trim pieces and corner posts so I wanted it to look like it was made for the space

IMG_0673.JPG

7 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Just the ikea regular legs on. The units were dry built and the gap measured. Then some spacers inserted to even up the gap. The oak trim is square edge 70mm * 12mm skirting board slid in to have about a 20mm left poking out then simply screwed between the units like you would normally to attach the run together. 

I dont like clumsy trim pieces and corner posts so I wanted it to look like it was made for the space

IMG_0673.JPG

Great thinking. 

Love those lights!!

5 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

IMG_0673.JPG

Very tidy ..! 

Ikea now seem to use a short leg on their units - it's not the 150-160mm used elsewhere and gives more space. Downside is that they use a non-standard unit size so it makes fitting things that are 70 or 90cm a challenge. 

Well excitingly the granite has turned out to be less than square. This will take a little light engineering... bit of prototyping gives a plan. We'll pull the upstand forward to hide the wobble and put the light bar behind it. I've picked up 12 drawer fittings to use as strengthning bars in the carcasses so hopefully we'll have a trial fit at the weekend. 

IMG_0716.JPG

Well today is the day for the granite to go in for a test fit. Looking at the unit tops the ikea units have a metal bracket that the worktop runs on. Not ideal for the granite so I pooped into ikea and bought some more internal drawer fronts. At 55cm they are the perfect length for adding onto the side of the cabinet at metal rail height to give a nice level surface for the stone.

pleasingly they also look pretty 'factory'.

Time will tell how much of a wobble we need design out on this run of granite. One end is 57cm and the other is 59cm..

9 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I'll pop back with some febreeze and a child to blame it on 

Unfortunately I am that man...chatting to the sales guy in plumb world turned around to see my big lad pulling his trousers up...he's got lots of autism and just did what came naturally in the display pan, oops!

Sales guy was brilliant and sent us on our way with a wry smile, said it'd take him a minute to make good.

I did offer but he insisted. Never been back again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1