Structural warranty

3 hours ago, Mikey_1980 said:

@Barney12, that’s strange as they had no issues at all with our passive slab. They were actually very impressed with it that another person from LABC came out to see it, out of interest. We took our policy out in November 2015.

My reply wasn’t completely clear. Here’s the exact text from LABC refusal:

Your application form has been reviewed by our technical team and unfortunately we are unable to offer a warranty due to the following:

The foundation system proposed is "Future Found" by Build Lite. This system is not acceptable for warranty as it does not have valid third party accreditation (BBA/ETA). Unless an approved system is used we are unable to offer a warranty.

By chance was your foundation by MBC previous supplier who’s name escapes me?

9 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The MBC foundation system is by Kore, and is approved to the Irish equivalent of BBA (in effect), NSAI.  This is accepted by building control etc as an approved foundation system design.

Thats not the case with the Future Found product provided by MBC at the time of my install. I believe they we’re trying to achieve it though. However, having just looked at their website there is nothing that suggests they have.

LABC were happy to insure our MBC slab too. We decided on Premier Guarantee in the end for no other reason than they are accepted by more mortgage lenders and if we wanted to sell at some point a purchaser might need a mortgage so the more approvals the better.  I dont think there was much in it on the price or t&c.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, graeme m said:

I got that a bit wrong, I thought the total was £670, that's just for site insurance, they want nearly £2000 for a warranty , sod that.

Yep - and because I had to get a loan (bridging loan based on current home so nothing to do with new build) I had to pay for it.

41 minutes ago, graeme m said:

I have no mortgage but I may want one after the build. Which lenders don't expect a warranty?

Get one now while you are building its much easier. We dont have a mortage either but we took a Premier Guarantee as you never know and if you want to sell its much easier.

I think you might struggle to find a lender after the build without one and undoubtedly it will cost you more.

1 hour ago, graeme m said:

I have no mortgage but I may want one after the build. Which lenders don't expect a warranty?

As far as I know they all do.  My loan isn't even against the new build but my current property - but they wouldn't do it unless I got the 10 year warranty for the new build.  £2500 down the Swannee as far as I'm concerned as I won't need a mortgage once I am in the new build and the old one has sold - and I have no intention of selling the new one - will be carried out of there (in a box or otherwise :D - so my kids should have paid for that :ph34r: ).  The bungalow that the mortgage is against has had various things done to it in the past 20 years since I have been in. Some of which should have had building control but didn't because I didn't know and the builders didn't say anything mentioned it.  BUT the mortgage company never even asked about it.  I am likely to have to pay for indemnity before I sell.  Most of it was done 18 years ago so should be ok but a bathroom company too a wall down and put in a wooden beam for support about 7 years ago.  I did ask them about bc but when they told me it wasn't needed I didn't take it any further. (because at that time I had no intention of leaving this bungalow - early retirement has necessitated the new build to fund the 3 years until I can get my pension and, hopefully, make the time after that more comfortable)

Edited by Hecateh

We too had to have one as a condition of the mortgage unfortunately. It seemed logical to us to use the same firm as doing our BC inspections even though it was more expensive than others I could have used - and whilst it should have been simpler, in fact it's been a total nightmare which I've posted about elsewhere. I think if we'd built a standard, mass build type brick and block type house it would have been no issue, but this particular firm have made it clear they think SIPs are too alternative (it was very clear our inspector had never seen a SIPs build before as his first issue to question if SIPs are even allowed as a build method! - Despite looking at the BBA stickers on every piece as he said it ) and blame me for using a "non standard method of build"! From this experience no way would I have a warranty if I had any choice in the matter, as from their attitude towards SIPs I suspect  that no way would they ever pay out for anything and would simply blame me for using a method they don't know about/like.  

On 1/17/2018 at 09:42, curlewhouse said:

We too had to have one as a condition of the mortgage unfortunately. It seemed logical to us to use the same firm as doing our BC inspections even though it was more expensive than others I could have used - and whilst it should have been simpler, in fact it's been a total nightmare which I've posted about elsewhere. I think if we'd built a standard, mass build type brick and block type house it would have been no issue, but this particular firm have made it clear they think SIPs are too alternative (it was very clear our inspector had never seen a SIPs build before as his first issue to question if SIPs are even allowed as a build method! - Despite looking at the BBA stickers on every piece as he said it ) and blame me for using a "non standard method of build"! From this experience no way would I have a warranty if I had any choice in the matter, as from their attitude towards SIPs I suspect  that no way would they ever pay out for anything and would simply blame me for using a method they don't know about/like.  

Name and shame

4 hours ago, curlewhouse said:

I'd love to but I think that was an issue which helped cause the demise of the previous forum. I'm happy to give details by pm of course.

That wasn't what caused the problems with Ebuild at all, nothing untrue was posted, and allowed to stay up for more than a minute or two before being moderated, AFAIK, but it's probably wise to only name a company that's provided poor service once you've come to the end of the road with all other forms of resolution, just in case.

My personal view is that there is nothing wrong with telling something as it is, as long as it's 100% factual, with no embellishment.  I think one problem with the naming and shaming lark is that it's just too easy to let natural emotional involvement get in the way of the raw facts - we all do it at times. 

I had a couple of iffy contractors, and have spoken of them but not named them, as neither really cost me a significant amount of money.  On the other hand, I had appalling service from Santander, who reneged on a mortgage agreement at the last moment, and I have no problem with naming them in my blog.  Similarly, I'm not the only one here who has been critical of Buildstore, with their high fees and very little in the way of added value with the self-build products.  Most can get a better deal by going direct, particularly with insurance.

• Like 1

I must admit I didn't follow the demise of EB and thought it was around someone naming a company and the forum owner then getting lots of grief from the firm. Anyway, I suspect we don't want to revisit that subject :D .  Well, once I've reached end of line with this company I'll name them (though God knows, they are very clear already of my opinion of them) and give a fair and objective update of their behaviour since I "had it out" with them.  I have in fact already warned  the SIPs providers/erectors we used to try and save any future customers the same grief if they are ever in a position to advise them about choice of BC services, and I have also suggested to Buildstore they advise the lender too - though I'm also going to do that directly once we no longer have to deal with the lender via Buildstore (though once we got the mortgage, I've found the department you deal with after that to be far, far better)     - I feel slightly guilty that this firm only got on the lenders approved list because we  used them! 

I’m just trying to finalise our site and insurance prior to construction work starting on site.

The one thing I’m unsure about is the level of public liability insurance required, most insurers offer £2 million or £5 million. Any thought on what figure is appropriate. We’re in an isolated rural location if that makes any difference.

Edited by Triassic

On 21/01/2018 at 10:40, curlewhouse said:

I must admit I didn't follow the demise of EB and thought it was around someone naming a company and the forum owner then getting lots of grief from the firm. Anyway, I suspect we don't want to revisit that subject :D .  Well, once I've reached end of line with this company I'll name them (though God knows, they are very clear already of my opinion of them) and give a fair and objective update of their behaviour since I "had it out" with them.  I have in fact already warned  the SIPs providers/erectors we used to try and save any future customers the same grief if they are ever in a position to advise them about choice of BC services, and I have also suggested to Buildstore they advise the lender too - though I'm also going to do that directly once we no longer have to deal with the lender via Buildstore (though once we got the mortgage, I've found the department you deal with after that to be far, far better)     - I feel slightly guilty that this firm only got on the lenders approved list because we  used them! 

PM and my lips will be sealed (publically). It's good to know who to avoid.