Blockwork's out!

Pocster

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:
   9 hours ago,  Russell griffiths said: 

Can you not make your own ties? 

You can buy the helicoil in 3m lengths and just chop it up. 

I assume you mean this stuff

https://www.permagard.co.uk/stainless-steel-helical-spiral-bar-3-metre?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0ejNBRCYARIsACEBhDM0NP8lWl6ogOx0ixgLWua25136-J0ovgBODu1VOfv5d3kspzP2kDYaAgxiEALw_wcB

if so you are going to do well to hammer foot long lengths of that through OSB, even with a pilot hole i reckon they will bend more often than not

it comes with an instillation tool which is basically a piece of tube with a capped end for thumping with your hammer. 

Hmmmmm

ill ask bco 

tbh I've found the anacon now at around 1.50 each but would have to cut the insulation around each one . A bar straight through makes life easier .....

bco is arriving later anyway so will ask ...

can i I not just stick it in a power drill and screw it in past osb and into timber stud ?

Edited by pocster

Why do you have to cut the insulation? 

Just buy it in brick tie spacing size. 

The small sheets should be sized at the same spacing as the ties. 

I'm out of synch with the current spacing but you used to put a row of ties in then your solid insulation then another row of ties. 

Most ties fit with a stainless ring shank nail, but I see no reason you can't screw them. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why do you have to cut the insulation? 

Just buy it in brick tie spacing size. 

The small sheets should be sized at the same spacing as the ties. 

I'm out of synch with the current spacing but you used to put a row of ties in then your solid insulation then another row of ties. 

Most ties fit with a stainless ring shank nail, but I see no reason you can't screw them. 

Oh!; so you can get insulation pre cut to the correct size?; what sizes are they in then? 2 thermalite courses high??

Do I just use a bit of expanding form between these small sheets to 'stick' 'em together?

* added* 

It would seem that most insulation is 1200mm wide. So that's every 5 courses of thermalite for a tie? I thought the ties had to be placed a bit more frequent than that....

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Oh!; so you can get insulation pre cut to the correct size?; what sizes are they in then? 2 thermalite courses high??

Do I just use a bit of expanding form between these small sheets to 'stick' 'em together?

* added* 

It would seem that most insulation is 1200mm wide. So that's every 5 courses of thermalite for a tie? I thought the ties had to be placed a bit more frequent than that....

Ties should be every 2 courses for blocks. And every course around reveals. 

• Like 1

Cavity boards will all be pre cut to suit 2 course high of block, 450mm. The length doesn't really matter.

You would put 2 in along each sheet so you have 2 holding the bottom and 2 holding the top of each sheet. Don't skimp on them, it's one of them things that it's more the better.

Some boards have a t&g groove some don't depends on what you buy. 

You put extra in beside reveals and corners for added strength but not every course or you will need to punch a hole in the board. You can do every course if you are blowing beads in as the distances from tie to tie don't matter.

Word of warning though you bedding needs to be 100% or your block heights won't match the size of the boards and then you will be cutting holes in them which ain't good. 

• Like 1

Ties every course at reveals. You can cut a neat slot for it in the insulation board by using your trowel 225mm up & the correct distance in. The insulation should be clipped back against the frame with discs (commonly referred to as 'buttons.)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well!

I did my blockwork!. Architect didn't believe I did it!. it is SPOT on (if I do say so myself!).

I started with a line through then once I got going just used the spirit level on every block! - shows the bloody soffit's out a bit now!!

I am for hire!; very cheap rates; but I take forever!! LOL!

IMG_6207.JPG

• Like 4