Sign in to follow this  
BuildHub

Important updates to BuildHub

BuildHub    25

Changes are afoot at BuildHub!

Short version:

We'll be taking BuildHub offline for up to 24 hours at 8:30pm on Friday 22nd September to upgrade forum hardware and software.

When we return, the new address will be https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/

Details:

If you’ve followed the history of BuildHub, you'll know that we set out to create a forum that would allow our members to exchange ideas and discuss projects across a wide range of self-building and renovation topics, and to create the best place on the internet for this to happen. From day one, we've sought to base the forum on robust hardware and software.

As we rapidly approach 800 members and 60,000 posts, we need to improve the hardware and software platform to make sure we're ready to handle another 18 month's growth with maximum safety and minimum downtime for our members.

We're therefore switching to a higher-capacity server. We'll also be taking the opportunity to do a number of upgrades to the forum software to bring us to the latest version. The new forum software includes some new features that we may roll out over the next few months, but initially the forum should appear and function as it does now.

These changes will require us to take the forum offline for a short period. We only expect to be offline for around 24 hours but the forum won't be available at all during that time.

To improve security we are also updating the forum address to HTTPS, which will require you to update your bookmarks when the new forum comes back online.

We'll try and make this transition as smooth as possible, but please bear with us in case there are any hiccups.

We look forward to your continued questions and contributions at the new and improved BuildHub, the best community on the web for self-builders and renovators to discuss projects and exchange ideas!

Thanks

Forum Management Group

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

PeterW    676

Just by way of an update :

We have moved the forum onto its new server and upgraded to the latest forum software. The forum should now be operating as before - there are a few new features but  nothing that should be a surprise !

Due to having to wait for DNS propagation, we have delayed the move to HTTPS - this will happen soon and we will advise when this is complete.

Thanks

FMG

• Like 1

TerryE    315

Stop press codicil

HTTPS is now working so any pages will get redirected to HTTPS.  ALso note that the /ipb/has been dropped from the URLs, but again the old external links will still work and will get permanently redirected to the HTTPS URL without the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ferdinand    413

Thank-you - especially to the web-elf who seems to have filled in my location, if it wasn't there already.

I haven't tried to break it, but things seem generally to work.

[Update: Oh noes. More emoticons in the like box. Do not tell the mad icon-mangler :$:/:S:o.]

Edited by Ferdinand

PeterW    676
2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Thank-you - especially to the web-elf who seems to have filled in my location, if it wasn't there already

'''Twas already there ... just didn't show ..!

JSHarris    869

I presume this may be a response by Invision to the use (or more commonly abuse) of the term "Like" on Facebook. 

Not sure what "react" means in this context, though.  With my background this word has very negative connotations - 99% of the time it referred to some form of active counter attack.  I'm not sure I'm going to be able to re-programme myself to view the word "react" in a positive way, after all these years.

• Like 1

ragg987    43

Nice one. The new site looks "cleaner" on both desktop and mobile devices. Also seems faster on my mobile.

• Like 1

PeterW    676

Reputation / Reaction is currently as per the default 4.2 forum settings - we can remove some of them if needed or replace with others .... 

It takes a while to get round all the new features - some are documented but others you have to find ..!!

Stones    315

Right, I'm unable to get on the forum using my laptop (chrome) regardless of using the new or old URL. I can however access on my phone. I've cleared history, cache, cookies but no change.

Any suggestions?

Stones    315

The old URL returns the forum will be offline message, and the new URL reverts to This site can't be reached.

PeterW    676

Sounds like a caching issue. 

Have you got an entry in your hosts file ..?? That's the usual reason for the redirect issue. 

JSHarris    869

Sounds like it may be a cache problem, where your laptop has stored a cached copy of the forum messages.  Flushing the cache should fix it (sorry, can't give detailed instructions as I don't use Chrome).

Edited by JSHarris
seem to have posted at the same time as @PeterW........

PeterW    676

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

although if you don't know where it is, chances are you haven't edited it..!

Stones    315

Is this the one we changed prior to going live? There is a buildhub entry, below local host name resolution.

Do I simply delete this entry?