Insulation, Heating, time constants etc. Am I expecting too much?

ProDave

Well I have continued my "test"

Last night as the house had reached  comfortable temperature, I turned the heater down to it's lowest setting, 750W  As I went to bed it was -3 outside and +15 inside giving a temperature difference of 18 degrees.

According to the heat loss spreadsheet, that should require a heat input of 1KW to overcome losses so I was now under heating the house. And this morning the internal temperature showed a drop of 0.5 degrees overnight.

I think this shows the real world heat loss is indeed pretty well matching the predictions from Jeremy's spreadsheet, so I now feel a lot happier that we are on target to achieve a house with a low heating requirement.

@ProDave Good to hear that your house seems to be on track to matching energy requirement predictions.  Makes all that effort taping and sealing worthwhile. 

In just under 4 months I'll have a full years worth of data to compare against my own heat loss calculations.  What's already evident is how big an impact wind speed, and in particular high gusting wind has on heat loss.  Solar gain and overheating predictions over the summer were pretty accurate.  I'm just hoping the same will be the case for my heating requirements.