vivienz

We (or rather, our architect) will be submitting for planning permission from North Dorset Council later this week.  Cue 8 weeks of nail biting.

It seems to have taken a long time to get to this stage, but it's worked out okay in terms of timing on finances and bats as well as a couple of other things, so the enforced exercise in patience has done us no harm.

The plot is quite long and narrow, roughly running north south with nice views in all directions apart from due south where there are a couple of neighbouring cottages.  Not that they look bad, they're just not as pretty as the countryside.  The existing dwelling is a 3 bedroom Woolaway type bungalow, built sometime around 1970 and we want to replace it with a 2 storey, 3 bedroom contemporary build.  As it's just the two of us and the cats, we want larger rooms rather than more rooms.

Nothing is decided in terms of building system yet - all that and quotes come next, along with everything else that's involved, so I'll be putting plenty of questions on the forum, I hope, in the near future as this is such an invaluable resource.

Here's a photo shop mock-up of the proposed house and some floor plans.

Bagber_v5_photo_shop.jpg

Close_up04.jpg

1120 - 103DIMS - Bagber Farm Cottage - PROPOSED GROUND FLOOR.pdf

1120 - 104DIMS - Bagber Farm Cottage - PROPOSED FIRST FLOOR.pdf

Edited by vivienz
typo
  • Like 2

Very nice.

If you have not already, suggest you use the 8 weeks to talk to neighbours and other interested parties like the parish council. Communication is key in heading off objections.

Of course, planners are supposed to use objective criteria to assess the plan, but they are only human...

The neighbours are all pleasant - we have met them quite a few times, especially whilst we were planting all the native hedging in the spring over a few weekends.  There are only 2 full-time sets of near neighbours, so it's not an arduous task to go and speak to them.  You never quite know when an objection will crop up, either.  One of the things I'm anticipating is a possible objection to the south facing window of the bedroom that's above the main door.  Although it's some distance to the cottages, it does directly face them.  On the other hand, the cottages have plenty of upstairs windows facing towards the existing bungalow, so who can tell?

Re. the waiting, I know that 8 weeks is the theoretical time.  The way everything has crawled along so far, I won't be at all surprised if it takes a good deal longer; I just can't help being an optimist!  Deepest, darkest Dorset seems to run on a different time standard to elsewhere and it's never faster. 

I'm in NDDC territory.  It was noted at last nights parish council meeting that a monthly planning meeting had been cancelled for the 4th time in a row and they are thought as a department to be busy/disorganised in the background. We had a known and proven 'sticky' planning officer, best not name names here.  You can't phone questions in easily.....email them...to be fair I found response time ok to these.

Nice house, good luck.