ALNO Gone in to Administration

Grosey

Ryder - we were going through a franchisee, the credit card payment was made to Alno UK, also the Visa payment but the cheque was actually made payable to the franchisee’s bank account in the name of one of the subsidiary companies that the Administrator has sold their interest in - this is part of their email to me:-

• The Administrators have successfully achieved a sale of the Company’s shareholdings in subsidiary companies and deposits paid to outlets owned by those companies do not form claims against the Company. Contracts with these companies and the related deposits remain the responsibility of these separate legal entities. These companies are: Bradbury’s of Exeter Limited, Bradbury’s of Bristol Limited, Birmingham Kitchens Limited, and Stourbridge Kitchens Limited and customers should check if they fall into this category. 
  • Some deposits have been paid to third party franchisees and not the Company. Customers should check if they fall into this category.

On 17/10/2017 at 20:13, woody said:

This is such an informative thread - i’ve been looking everywhere for someone in a similar boat to me. I ordered my kitchen from my local Intoto branch in July, paid a total of £8500 in deposits (initial commitment fee, 20% deposit and payment for appliances off spec). Then we were told Alno had gone into administration- so frustrated with myself that I didn’t do a bit of homework before handing over the money; a bit of googling would have shown me Alno were having problems. Paid 2 deposits on cards and 1 by cheque. Think I may be able to get back the card payments but the cheque is proving tricky as it was to a subsidiary company of Alno and the Administrator has listed this company as now having been sold and any redress is with that company and not Alno UK. Does anyone know if that is correct? When I made this payment it was then an Alno UK company, but since then the Administrator has arranged the sale (although it’s still showing on Companies House as being an Alno company).

An alternative is to stick with Intoto whilst they secure an investor who will allegedly honour the deposits already paid and Intoto will source an alternative German kitchen of same spec with the investors backing.  Any thoughts please? Would really appreciate the input 

I would seek professional advice. It might be who the contract is with rather than which subsidiary you were told to pay that matters.

8 hours ago, woody said:

Ryder - we were going through a franchisee, the credit card payment was made to Alno UK, also the Visa payment but the cheque was actually made payable to the franchisee’s bank account in the name of one of the subsidiary companies that the Administrator has sold their interest in - this is part of their email to me:-

• The Administrators have successfully achieved a sale of the Company’s shareholdings in subsidiary companies and deposits paid to outlets owned by those companies do not form claims against the Company. Contracts with these companies and the related deposits remain the responsibility of these separate legal entities. These companies are: Bradbury’s of Exeter Limited, Bradbury’s of Bristol Limited, Birmingham Kitchens Limited, and Stourbridge Kitchens Limited and customers should check if they fall into this category. 
  • Some deposits have been paid to third party franchisees and not the Company. Customers should check if they fall into this category.

AFAIK there were only 2 business models there-

- Factory owned shops which in most cases were limited companies in their own rights but fully owned by Alno UK. These went into liquidation but entirely likely that the administrators have sold the companies on to a new buyer. Your contract ultimately lies with Alno in this case as you cannot be expected as an end customer to know the entire business structure so for all intents and purposes you are dealing with the Alno

- Franchise shops which would be independent businesses, either limited companies or partnerships or self employed and your contract should be with that business.

What appears to have happened here is a mix of the two and seems very strange and I would be seeking advise. If you dont mind, please PM me the shop you bought from and I will see if I can dig up more information.

Excellent and very detailed discussion - thanks. I have a slightly different question. Just prior to the business going under, Alno UK confirmed a delivery date for a set of replacement doors (under warranty because of warping). I only discovered that the company had gone into receivership when the delivery did not show up (the delivery date was in the same week of the announcement). Would that imply that someone has them sitting on a pallet locked up somewhere in the UK and would there be a way to track them down? 

Who exactly confirmed this delivery date? 

The norm would be that a delivery week is confirmed from Germany and then delivery arrives to the UK in that week. It may be that the door was never delivered to Alno here the order remains unfulfilled.

Did you buy from an Alno retailer, Intoto franchise or a factory shop?

Thanks ryder72. Alno UK aftersales confirmed by email on 10 Aug that they were in stock and ready to be fitted and fitters were booked for 22 Sep. The original kitchen was part of a new build by St James for previous owners. If I could locate these, it would be a good first step.

• 3 weeks later...