ALNO Gone in to Administration

Grosey

We were informed this week that my kitchen would no longer be delivered on Friday ready for fitting on Monday as ALNO Germany have gone in to administration. The showroom (intoto) have £5k deposit of ours and are currently exploring options for resolving the situation. Just thought I'd post a heads up in case anyone else is looking at becoming involved in ALNO, I'd steer clear as there's likely to be troubled waters ahead. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

That's odd as that was reported back in July. 

http://www.kbbdaily.com/m/article.php?id=6585

Insolvency in Germany is very different to in the U.K. - it's about keeping the company going similar to Chapter 11 in the US. 

Are you buying via Alno UK..?

Yeah I too found articles going back to July when I started googling the situation. The whole thing is a bit odd and apparently there is just a complete lack of communication with anyone from ALNO explaining what is happening. 

Im buying from a showroom in Exeter who deal with ALNO UK. My kitchen must be built and on a pallet somewhere as it was still on track for delivery last week right up until Monday when all this news came my way. 

The Intoto franchise in Exeter have been around for a long time with a good reputation and IIRC still has the same owners (The son has taken over from the father).

We bought our kitchen in the barn from there some 15 years ago. 

As an aside it still looks like new despite being well used by a number of tenants over the last 5+ years.

8 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

The Intoto franchise in Exeter have been around for a long time with a good reputation and IIRC still has the same owners (The son has taken over from the father).

We bought our kitchen in the barn from there some 15 years ago. 

As an aside it still looks like new despite being well used by a number of tenants over the last 5+ years.

I must say they have been excellent throughout this offering me several options for how to resolve. Including removing a showroom kitchen to fit temporarily whilst the issues are resolved. I'm yet to decide how we are going to proceed though. 

We had a supplier go bust pre-delivery of the goods - how did you pay? If any on credit card, you will probably get the whole sum back. There is also a scheme for debit cards, but not as straightforward. We got £11K back from barclaycard, after quite a lot of arguing. 

It's horribly stressful - I don't know how it works in Germany, but in the UK you should apply to be a creditor ASAP. Perhaps there is a similar system in germany? O hope you get your kitchen asap. 

It's not too bad for us as I paid a UK showroom which is an entirely separate company, they are offering to source me another kitchen from a new manufacturer or they have said I can just have a full refund. But it was paid by credit card so I should also have that level of protection. 

As someone with an insight here is the situation. Your contract will be with a UK retailer who source the kitchen thru Alno UK who in turn source it from Alno Germany. You are not a creditor to Alno Germany so as such you have no right to recourse with either Alno UK or Alno Germany.

Alno Germany went into a Chapter 11 type of self administration to sort out the situation but that has sort of made matter worse as their regular supplier who are owed millions are refusing to supply goods. This means the whole supply chain has ground to a halt and no information coming out from Germany.

I know some Intoto retailers personally and I feel sorry for them. Some have switched their kitchen orders with me. I heard today that Alno UK have allowed Intoto's to switch their orders to other manufacturers if required.

It does not appear that Alno is likely to emerge out of this unscathed or at all. How many Intoto's will survive this is another question. What would happen to warranties or customer service issues? My advice would be to look at other kitchen retailers, not just manufacturers

• Like 1

interesting read...I am in a similar situation. We ordered our Alno kitchen through John Lewis and it was supposed to be delivered on Friday, to be fitted this week. John Lewis have unsuccessfully tried to get information from Alno UK. As far as I know, our kitchen was just in the production when the news of the insolvency came through, so I assume it has been built and is somewhere?

Very frustrating not knowing if it will be delivered or if we should look at something else...

(I am from Germany, so I googled German articles to find out more info, but it is impossible to get any more information- so much for German efficiency....)

Edited by Katharina

Update:

Just received an email from John Lewis saying that they have stopped business with Alno UK, as it will go into insolvency within the next few days. Before, it was known that Alno Germany filed for administration, but now it affects all EU Alno businesses.

We will get a full refund and have been advised to select a different kitchen...

2 hours ago, Katharina said:

Update:

Just received an email from John Lewis saying that they have stopped business with Alno UK, as it will go into insolvency within the next few days. Before, it was known that Alno Germany filed for administration, but now it affects all EU Alno businesses.

We will get a full refund and have been advised to select a different kitchen...

There is no guarantee that it will go into insolvency. Alno is a well known brand so a competitor may buy the brand but it is anyone's guess what scenarios may emerge.

Right now the only thing that's clear is that they are not able to despatch complete kitchens so my sincere advice is to take the money and look elsewhere. I reiterate - it's not just the Alno German business that is at risk. It is anyone in the supply chain from their UK subsidiary to their retailers who are solely dependent on Alno to fulfil their orders.

18 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

There is no guarantee that it will go into insolvency. Alno is a well known brand so a competitor may buy the brand but it is anyones guess what scenarios may emerge.

Right now the only thing thats clear is that they are not able to despatch complete kitchens so my sincere advise  is to take the money and look elsewhere. I reiterate - its not just the Alno German business that is at risk. It is anyone in the supply chain from their UK subsidiary to their retailers who are solely dependent on Alno to fulfil their orders.

I believe intoto as a group are looking to sign to a new manufacturer, I am waiting to find out who that manufacturer is and the delivery timescales for my new kitchen. At that point I'll decide on whether to stick with them or take my money and run. They are a fairly large group, and the branches are independently owned (or so I understand), but I do need to understand what will happen to my warranty etc if the intoto group was to disband, but the Exeter showroom was to continue perhaps under another name / as an independent. 

1 hour ago, Grosey said:

I believe intoto as a group are looking to sign to a new manufacturer, I am waiting to find out who that manufacturer is and the delivery timescales for my new kitchen. At that point I'll decide on whether to stick with them or take my money and run. They are a fairly large group, and the branches are independently owned (or so I understand), but I do need to understand what will happen to my warranty etc if the intoto group was to disband, but the Exeter showroom was to continue perhaps under another name / as an independent. 

They are all franchisees: https://www.intotofranchise.co.uk/

Multiple points to consider @Grosey

1. Intoto franchise system is a trading brand of Alno UK set up to provide a retail arm for Alno UK. If they were to sell kitchens for another manufacturer, there is nothing in it for Alno UK and it may be one day that the Intoto Franchise itself may be sold to someone. I do know that there is significant disquiet within the franchisees and many have left the franchise in recent weeks. This act may render the franchise worthless and unsellable. 

2. Each franchisee operates as an individual business. I know some are seriously struggling for cashflow with kitchens not being delivered. Even if Intoto survives, the survival of the franchisee is also key to this working out. 

3. If Alno goes bust  and Intoto get sold to a new manufacturer and the franchisee survives, warranties for Alno kitchens may remain unfulfilled.

Basically too many unknowns.

36 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

Kesseler is a British company that uses a Germanic sounding name. Its alright. Nothing special and you can get better kitchens for your money.

Which manufacturers would you be recommending?

Further update - Alno UK has gone into administration today.

I have been in Germany past couple of days and news is that Alno is most likely to go and someone may buy the brand (though its been badly damaged in the past few months). The factories that the German regional governments are trying to keep open to protect jobs are very old and practically worthless so no buyers are interested in these.

Bumped into my kitchen bloke at the weekend, they have actually replaced a few bits of my (ALNO) kitchen. He said he's moved over to Hacker over the past 6 months and a British Co. Has a few customers with half-built kitchens. He was unbelievably positive as always but it cannot be (nor have been) easy sorting this out.

My wife is concerned about it as our kitchen is not quite 2 years old but I can't say I'm that fussed. We'll have to come up with something imaginative if the worst happens.

Well we are one of the unlucky customers who it would seem have lost everything. No Kitchen & No Deposit back as this was transferred to Alno U.K. and not done via credit card. We didn't have a £10,000 limit on a card !!

I understand a few in-toto studio franchise owners are helping clients and maybe switching to new suppliers but ours in Oadby, Leicester simply shut shop, no notification, no email or phone call to explain, Nothing !

I have contacted the Administrators and as usual nothing back from them !! Have been here before so we are expecting nothing!! Alno Germany are in the toilet and  Alno UK have ceased (which is in-toto HQ in Leeds) so good luck to those customers who are getting some help from other studio outlets but overall the whole of in-toto is finished.

We will have to source an alternative but I will stick to a UK manufacturer as there are so many German Kitchen companies going to the wall at the moment. (Plus it will have to be slightly less in quality as we simply don't have the budget anymore!!).

Now looking for a high limit credit card as we will only put deposits down with that source of payment. We have learnt a very expensive lesson and to be quite honest have lost faith in self build suppliers. 

We do hope others get help as this has knocked us for six !!!!!

• Sad 1