Last minute changes

AliG

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if anyone had made any last minute majorish changes.

They are plaster boarding the inside of our house.

My wife came into the master bedroom and hated it. TBH she is right.

What happened was that in the original design the master en suite was a bit tight for what we wanted to get in there, so I asked the architect to make it wider.

That got us more space in the en suite but moved the wall quite close to where the bed will go.

When the walls started to go up it started to look tight and the room look lop sided. I think what accentuated this is that the room has a vaulted ceiling so the en suite wall got taller by moving it into the room an now looms over the bed.

Anyway it is better to fix it now than later so we are moving the ensuite into the dressing room which is a much larger area and shrinking the en suite to be the new dressing room.

Probably a few thousand in wasted stud work and plasterboard but I think it is the right thing to do.

Luckily there is pipework in place so that the change can be made. I kept looking at the plans and wondering about doing it, wish I had just bit the bullet earlier. To some extent I didn't want to upset the architect. He was fine about it, he said he hadn't liked moving the wall, but the trouble was that the en suite was too small without that.

Perhaps the moral is, if you don't feel right about something and can change it then change it as soon as possible.

master plan.jpg

Edited by AliG

Guest Alphonsox

We inserted a new door and moved a wall once we got to see the layout for real. Not too much drama, a day or so for the timber frame crew.

The right time to do this sort of thing is as soon as you notice. Prevarication just makes things worse in my view.

I must admit I am seeing a room that has so many angles and bits jutting out, I don't know where I would put the bed.

Is a solution to the overbearing wall to not take it all the way to the vaulted ceiling, instead finish it at a normal 2.4 metres and create a flat mezanine space above the en-suite?

That's the old layout.

The bed goes centred facing the fireplace.

It's about 1.2m from there to the ensuite wall.

The room is full height across the centre then 2.75m tall when it hits a steel beam that holds up the roof at each side, from there on it is flat. So inside the ensuite would have been 2.7m, but the outside wall is roughly 3.5m high.

I found a pic before the plasterboard went up on the stud work and some other pics of the room. The bed goes in front of the steels. At the right hand side of the pic of the steels, the en suite wall comes out 800mm and leaves a tight corner entry to the dressing room.

We are going to take the wall back to be in line with the outside wall so it is 1.8m from the bed.

The dressing room only has 2.4m ceiling height as there is a mezzanine floor above it.

Next question will be should the dressing room be closed off or open to the bedroom so that the you can see the whole width of the room and should we put a window in the new en suite.

I'll need to buy some tiles for the larger new en suite.

One thing I can do is put the WC in its own little cupboard now like you get in nice hotels. I did suggest having a his and hers en suite but my wife said no.

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

Edited by AliG

Sometimes you just have to see the building for real before you can understand how the space works.

I had a major internal redesign- switched to open plan- after I'd already boarded out the perimeter walls and fixed the positions of every door, window, the flue, and the services. No regrets whatsoever.

In a similar vein, I have yet to choose a worktop for the kitchen, and am going to put up the carcasses/fronts soon, so that I can have a couple of weeks to get used to the colours and make a decision. It's nice to have the luxury of time to do these things.

Thanks for the suggestions, actually one of the change I had made was to make the dressing room pocket doors already.

I went up and stood in the space today. I am very happy with the decision to swap the dressing and en suite around.

Although it seems like the dressing room should be closed off as this allows you to hide stuff away, having stood in the space, I feel that opening up the dressing room and having maybe a big open arch into the room keeps the symmetry of the room that the wall currently has destroyed.

I took a picture where you can see the tight corner that we want to lose and compare it to the other side of the room. I think keeping it open the room will be he same width in both directions and benefit from that.

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG