Hardcore

RichS

I;ve just got a quote from Network Rail for recycled 20/40 granite for my base. 60 tons came in at just short of £6000.00 + VAT, so as good as £100 per ton.

Perhaps I'll have to pass on that one.

To be fair it was going to be a round trip of approx 250 miles from the nearest depot to me that has any so I'd imagine most of that cost was in transport.

So if anyone knows a sensible supplier in the Yorkshire area I'm all ears.

So i sent Network Rail an email politely refusing their quote and stating that it was far too high.

I received a reply today saying that yes, they thought it seemed high as well so they had re-calculated it.

The new price came in, delivered, at £32.45 + VAT per ton, so my new quote for 60 tons was £3926.45 + VAT (sic) 9_9

It really makes you wonder doesn't it.

I was pleasantly surprised during our SIPs construction when we got heavy rain (that's not the bit I was pleasantly surprised about) and had to get something to firm the place up - road planings at £8 per tonne delivered from a local farmer who has a side business in this sort of thing, so just £80 for 10 tonne. I've found water drains completely freely through them despite the telehandler etc. running back and forth and compacting them a bit. Going to get some more as a sub base before final site leveling.

Edited by curlewhouse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dpmiller said:

The lane to our site is made and maintained with blinding, I'm seriously considering recommending planings the next time there's mutterings about maintenance.

We have similar - council have a duty to maintain it as it's a byway but we have right of access as it's also a private road. They had some money left over last year so resurfaced it with about 75mm of 10 to dust and it's lasted about 4 months before the holes have reappeared. The bit they did over the planings we put down is still solid ..!

• Like 1